Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

I want to move grandfather clock less than 20 miles

Customer Question
I want to move...

I want to move grandfather clock less than 20 miles approximately.

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.

I was planning to carefully remove weights left to right labeling them accordingly, rising them to the top. secure the chains from moving from the reels. put rolls of newspaper between them. take off pendulum carefully.

Technician's Assistant: Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?

If i wrap clock can i transport clock lying it inside the back of my suv?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Clock Repair
11/7/2017
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 9 months ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I get this a lot in my clock repair shop. Here are the best instructions I give to my customers that come into my shop that are moving there grandfather clock. Thanks Mike.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

1. Open the side access window (if any) and move them to a safe place where you may not step on one and break it.

2. If the clock has cable holding the weights, insert 3 – 2″ square Styrofoam blocks that came with the clock above each pulley between the cables. If you do not have a Styrofoam block, make a tight square of newspaper about 2″ inches in diameter and hold the block or newspaper square above the pulley as you wind the weights one at a time until they stop with the paper or Styrofoam block jammed above the pulleys. This procedure prevents the cable from tangling when the weights are removed. You need to keep tension on the cables.

3. For clocks with chains, raise the weights so the clock is about half wound (middle of the clock). Use a piece of thin wire or twist ties to string the chains together just where the chains protrude below the movement and tie the wire together; this action will secure the chains so they do not come off their sprockets. These need to be tight or the chain will come off the sprocket.

4. Remove the weights while wearing gloves and look at the bottom to see if they are marked “Left – Center – Right” . If not, mark them so they can be replaced to the same position on the clock for installation later. For clocks with chains, secure the chains by bunching them from bottom to top and wrapping them in newspaper and place a rubber band around the package so that they do not move around and possibly damage the finish. Package up the weights carefully as not to dent the brass casings.

5. Remove the pendulum by holding it from the middle and slightly moving it up. It should un-hook from the pendulum leader easily. DO NOT FORCE IT. The pendulum guide needs to be so that it may not move around during moving and it should never be under a lot of tension in any direction. You may take one or two full width pages of newspaper and gather the loose paper around the pendulum guide. Use just enough so it remains loose, but unable to freely move around.

6. Reinstall the access panels and lock them in or tape them from the inside (glass to wood) so the windows will not come out and break during moving. Close and lock the door(s).

7) Wrap the clock to protect the furniture. A queen size comforter should completely surround the clock. If not try any large blanket. Wrap the blanket around the clock and tape the blanket closed. Wrap the tape twice near the top of the clock all the way around, once near the middle and one near the base.
8. The clock can now be carefully moved to it’s new location. If the clock is a newer clock, you may move it on it’s back if you have followed the instructions above to the letter. Older clocks may need only to be moved in an upright position because of the weight of the movement and the way the movement may be fastened to the case.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.