Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

My antique clock is wound to tight! How do I fix it?

Customer Question
My antique clock is wound...
My antique clock is wound to tight ! How do I fix it ?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Clock Repair
10/4/2017
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 10 months ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. What type clock do you have grandfather, wall, mantle and also how many winding ports does it have 2 or 3?. Thanks Mike

The clock is an antique German wall clock !
The clock has two winding ports !
tell me on line how to fix the clock !!
Who and when will I hear from someone /
Can someone answer my question on line ?
Mike, Iam here at the computer ! Please tell me how to get the antique clock to run again ? It is a German
wall clock . It has two ports to wind. I wound up the clock too tight !
Thank you
Today is Sat. Oct . 7 . I have not received an answer to my clock . [please help me understand how to fix the problem !!!

Hi Ron, I couldn't reply because there was an opt out on the question. I'll cover all options to try. First of all the mainspring is under alot of pressure. A tool called an unwinder is tool for unwinding the mainspring and if you do not have experience doing this you could get hurt. You won't need one you can do this yourself. TRYING TO TAKE THE MAINSPRING LOOSE IS DANGEROUS BECAUSE IT IS UNDER PRESSURE AND COULD POP AND PUT YOUR EYE OUT OR CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE SO DON"T TRY TO REMOVE THE MAINSPRING. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. You cannot over wind a spring driven clock. This is misinformation that has been handed down through the generations. If you wind a clock completely to the end and it does not work; something else such as wear, dirt, or old sticky oil is preventing the clock from running. It is not because you "over wound" or "wound the clock too tight". You can put the movement back and try to run your clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime do this for a 24 to 48 hour session this will relieve the pressure of the mainspring on the chime side which is the RIGHT hole & the LEFT hole is for the pendulum you will have to manually move the pendulum back and fourth until it is able to run on its own. If the clock wouldn't run after winding it might be time for a good cleaning and re oil job what happens is that the old gummy oil inside the coils of the mainsprings start sticking causing the mainspring not to be able to release the pressure to run the clock. These movements should be cleaned & re oiled every 3 to 5 years. I listed a link below for one of the best cleaning kits I recommend to the customers that come into my clock repair shop to save them money from me doing the work. Try these options out and let me know what happens if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer

http://www.clockworks.com/clock-repair-kits/clock-cleaning-kit.html