Clock Repair

Have Clock Problems? Ask a Clock Expert and Get Answers ASAP

Clock Repair

We inheriteded a grandfather clock. I don't have a lot of…

We inheriteded a Howard...

We inheriteded a Howard Miller grandfather clock. I don't have a lot of knowledge, and there is no Manuel. It was purchased in 1987. It is keeping time but not chiming. Can you help me set this beautiful heirloom up please? It does have a serial number.

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Is there anything else important you think the Clock Technician should know?

Hello

Technician's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

We inherited a Howard Miller clock bought in 1987. We have no Manuel. It is keeping time but not chiming. Can you help me.

9/17/2017
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First make sure the weights are in the correct order they should be marked on the bottom R C L if not the heaviest weight goes on the RIGHT it runs the pendulum, next heaviest in the CENTER it runs the pendulum next heaviest or the same weight as the center it goes on the LEFT which runs the strike, Next make sure the hammer or hammers will move freely up and down and that the retard bar is in the up position off the hammers. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise and if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever usually found on the face make sure it is in the on position and not in the off or night time mode. Next if the clock is wound the old oil becomes gummy inside the movement causing the movement portion of the chime/strike train to release the power to run the chimes so your clocks movement will need to be cleaned and re oiled like they should every 3 to 5 years to stay in top running condition. To save my customers that come to my shop from me charging them to clean and re oil there clock I recommend one of the best cleaning kits on the market you can click the link I provided from Clockworks.com if it will let you if not copy the link then go to google and type or paste the link there it has everything you need including a step by step E book. Try this option out and let me know what happens and if you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself let me know your zip code location and I'll find an authorized Howard Miller clock repair company for you. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

http://www.clockworks.com/clock-repair-kits/clock-cleaning-kit.html

I have it chiming now. However when it chimes for 6 o'clock it only chimes 5 times. What do I need to do?

H​I, Yes to get the chimes back into sync the next time the clock chimes the hour move just the HOUR hand only in a clockwise manor to match the number of chimes next move the minute hand in a clockwise manor stopping to let the clock chime until you reach the correct time. Thanks Mike

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

I am planning to order a cleaning kit. The clock chimes correctly for several hours and then seems to stop. Very easiy to get going again by helping the little spinner take off. I'm suspecting this means it needs cleaning and oiled. It doesn't appear gunned up at all. The weights are all free and moving. My mother in law didn't know to work it so it sat for a good 3 years. Each time I restart it, it seems to keep going longer. I'm considering taking the time to move the minute hand through several days worth of chiming to possibly get everything completely freed up. As it moves I notice some oil seems to appear on the wheels that was there in the beginning. Your thought please.
Also can you tell me how often we should wind the clock? And when we do do we need to wind each one? Without a Manuel we are winging this.
Is there a way to know what model it is? So we can possibly get a Manuel. Can you direct me?

H​I, Yes from the clock sitting for 3 years the best way to get the clock running correctly is a good cleaning and re oiling. As for the manual you can click the link below and then scroll to the bottom and click manuals or help center. You can also try to contact Howard Miller direct. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

http://www.howardmiller.com/

Mike, Consultant
Mike, Consultant