Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I seem to have overwound my chiming mantel clock. the chimes

Customer Question

I seem to have overwound my chiming mantel clock. the chimes are not working on the hour
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.
Customer: We had this clock cleaned and fixed and it was working perfectly. It has 3 positions to be wound up, but the last one which is near to quarter to the hour has not wound down It is about 1930's & the name on the clock says enfield
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Clock Technician should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. The 3 winding ports are the RIGHT is for the chimes CENTER is for the time the LEFT is for the strike. First you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime and at the hour position if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam so it will not stop chiming. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next check to see if the hammers are moving freely up & down and make sure all the hammers are at the same height. Next would be maintenance these movements should be cleaned & re oiled every 3 to 5 years to stay in top running condition. If the clock was not cleaned and re oiled properly what happens is when you wind up the mainspring the dirty gummy oil inside the coils stick not allowing the mainspring to release the power to make the clock chime. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.