Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

I have a crump and lowe grandmother clock with 2 weights.

Customer Question
I have a crump...

I have a crump and lowe grandmother clock with 2 weights. the left one won't stop chiming even when I stabilize the pendulum. the right one doesn't move. All this happened in the last week so it's a new problem

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?

I don't think so. it used to work fine

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Clock Repair
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/12/2017
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 8 months ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime and at the hour position if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam so it will not stop chiming. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next would be maintenance these movements should be cleaned & re oiled every 3 to 5 years to stay in top running condition. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Mike, Consultant