Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

The left and right weights aren`t moving, only the center…

The left and right...

The left and right weights aren`t moving, only the center weight moves, but the clock doesn`t chime . What can I do ?

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.

What else do you need to know ?

Technician's Assistant: Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?

No, I don`t think so .

8/9/2017
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll coverall options for you to try. The Right is for the chimes the left is for the strike There are several things to check. First check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off, Next make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next is maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. To save my customers money that come into my shop I recommend one of the best cleaning kits it comes with a E-Book. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

.

http://www.clockworks.com/clock-repair-kits/clock-cleaning-kit.html

Mike, Consultant
Thanks, ***** ***** I was trying to avoid the dreaded house visit, but I guess that`s what I`ll have to do . We have a local team who are experienced and expensive, but I can`t be without my clock , so I`ll have to bite the bullet and make a call .

HI, Your Welcome if you ever need help in the future just ask. Thanks Mike