Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

The left weight in our grandfather clock is not descending.

Customer Question
The left weight in...

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.

The left weight in our grandfather clock is stuck at the top of the chamber. The middle & right weo

Technician's Assistant: Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?

No, every thing else is working well. I fear the last time I raised the weights, I got the left weight up too high.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Clock Repair
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/3/2017
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 1 year ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll give you all options to try. First the Left weight runs the strike & the Right weight runs the chimes, you can run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime & strike this will allow the Left weight to lower but might take a little while. After you start and if you hear a click when it goes to strike the hour but doesn't strike it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position if the weights were up to high as well. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next you can get a piece of ridged wire bend one end into a J this works great for me at my shop I'll post a photo below for reference so take the wire lower it down to grab the chain lift the chain up off the sprocket and lower the weight but have a second person just holding the weight. Try these options out and let me know what happens and if you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself let me know your zip code location and I can find a clock repair shop by you. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

HI, Here is the photo of the tool I made & use just for reference . Thanks Mike

for helping you.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.