Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

Bought antique german wall clock from a clock dealer. It 's…

Customer Question
Bought antique german wall...

Bought antique german wall clock from a clock dealer. It 's pendulum works and keeps good time. But the chimes do not work. My clock repair person tried using key on left chime side to wind and it skips.. Says the spring is broken and now has it to repair/replace. I thought this may have happened during transporting to my home in new jersey from Germany. (was advertized in perfect running order) My clockperson said this damage could/would not occur in transit and was present prior to shipping. Your thoughts? Love the clock and am keeping it, although I think the seller should reimburse for the repair--if, oh well. Also, how would such a spring break?? Thank you for your kind response

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Is there anything else important you think the Clock Technician should know?

Just the message I just sent. Find these old clocks fascinating---own 4! And I like to learn as much as I can. Example, everyone says NOT to wind antiuqe wall clocks too tight11

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Clock Repair
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/30/2017
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 1 year ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Yes your clock person is right the mainspring either is broken or has come unhooked. The spring could break from age or a defect in manufacturing depending on where the spring is broken. Unless the clock was dropped during transport it might have caused the spring to unhook. Yes you should never overwind your springs even on new clock that is what I tell my customers that come into my shop. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.