Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

HM model#610166 westminister floor clock #190..keeps

Customer Question

HM model#610166 westminister floor clock #190..keeps accurate time but only center weight travels down.right and left weights stay at top ..chimes donot work..what is the issue? have double checked weights are in the correct positions
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Yes this model is from the Barwick Clock Division with a 190 Westminster tubular chime weight driven movement. I'll cover all options to try. First of all make sure the clock is level both ways. Next by chance check to see if the weights are in the correct order they should be marked R, C, L if they are not marked The heaviest weight goes on the RIGHT it runs the chimes, next heaviest in the CENTER it runs the pendulum, lightest on the LEFT it runs the strike. Next if it doesn't chime first check to see if the retard bar has slipped down onto the hammers if so lift the bar up off the hammers next make sure the hammers move freely up & down worst case is when trying to run the clock manually and you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever usually found on the face make sure it is in the on position and not in the off or night time mode. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find an authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
don't care about chimes.in my question I stated I had already checked weight positions and levels.my problem is only the center weight moves down.Why doesnt the left and right weights move down???
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

H​I, The reason your RIGHT & LEFT weights do not move down is because your chimes are not chiming which is the RIGHT weight and your clock is not striking the hour which is your LEFT weight. In order for the RIGHT & LEFT weights to move down the clock must chime & strike the hour so the options I posted above are to check to see why your RIGHT & LEFT weights are not moving down. Try those options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find an authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.