Clock Repair

Have Clock Problems? Ask a Clock Expert and Get Answers ASAP

Clock Repair

I have a wall clock (wind-up, w/ weights) purchased about 12

Customer Question
I have a Howard Miller...
I have a Howard Miller wall clock (wind-up, w/ weights) purchased about 12 years ago, About one year ago it stopped running. Tried periodically to start it but with no success. In early October I took it to a clock repair in Vienna, VA. They kept and observed it for five weeks. They said it was running fine but kept it for observation . They called and said it was still running well. When I picked it up they said the clock was very old; was no longer made; and, was too fragile to be serviced. They charged me nothing. I brought it home, followed their instruction for putting it up, and started it by swinging the pendulum. It stopped swinging in about two minutes. What should I do next?
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Is there anything else important you think the Clock Technician should know?
Customer: no, just what would should I do next? See another repair shop? Any recommendations for one? I'm in Reston, VA, ZIP 20191.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Clock Repair
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2016
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 1 year ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Most of the time when you start the pendulum and it stops after a few minutes the clock is out of beat. A clock running in beat goes :- tick - - - - tock - - - - tick - - - - tock, with the four hyphens representing an exactly equal amount of time.

Out of beat, it goes: - tick - - tock - - - - - - - - tick - - tock - - - - - - - - tick - - tock This is easier to hear than describe, the two sounds come very close together, then a longer interval before two more very close together. The crutch is the wire part fixed to the clock at the back of the movement, usually bent at a right angle at the bottom, with a rectangular hole in it for the pendulum rod to slide through. If you touch it you will see it can move from side to side through an arc. Very often this wire is already bent slightly, (don’t worry about the shape of it, you can’t see it at the back of the movement) when the clock is running it is the crutch that swings the pendulum, by giving it a tiny impulse at each swing. Many people think the pendulum drives the clock; it is of course the other way round. The pendulum is there to “regulate” the clock and enable it to keep time, instead of running away at a fast speed till it runs down and stops.

Looking from the front, with the pendulum hanging down stopped, move it to one side by hand, until you hear a tick. Then move it the other way until you hear a tock. If it has to be moved father to the right (from the center) than the left, the crutch must be bent to the left. - - - - - -Or the other way round, of course.

The weights need to be on the clock, or the springs wound if it is a spring driven clock.

Also, be careful with the crutch bending, These are the closest authorized Howard Miller repair shops in your area . Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

FASHION TIMEFASHION TIMEApproximately 6.9 Miles from 20191
8097B TYSONS CORNER CENTER
MC LEAN, VA 22101
Phone:(###) ###-####br />Mobile:(###) ###-####br />.

SAM'S CLOCK REPAIR

Approximately 13.7 Miles from 20191*****br />SUITE G-2
MANASSAS, VA 20109

POTOMAC CLOCK SHOP LLC

Approximately 13.8 Miles from 20191*****ROAD
DARNESTOWN, MD 20878
Phone:(###) ###-####br />Mobile:(###) ###-####/p>

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

for helping you.

Mike, Consultant