Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have 3 weights but the middle one is the only one going

Customer Question

I have 3 weights but the middle one is the only one going down. And it doesn't chime
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I get this a lot at my clock repair shop. I'll cover all options to try. The Right weight runs the chimes, the Center runs the pendulum, the Left runs the strike. First make sure the retard bar didn't slip down onto the hammers and make sure the hammers move freely up and down and are all at the same height at rest sometimes moving them up & down will release any that are stuck or sluggish. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever which should be located on the dial face next to the 3 make sure it is on. Next make sure it isn't in the night time shut off mode if your clock has that option. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click at the Hour or 1/2 hour position like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next is maintenance the movement should be cleaned and re oiled every 3 to 5 years just adding oil on top of old oil doesn't do the trick. Try these options out and let me know what happens if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

for helping you.