Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I just set up a Tiffany Waltham tall clock, it keeps good

Customer Question

I just set up a Tiffany Waltham tall clock, it keeps good time , but does not chime? I put the heaviest weight on the right facing the clock. Should it go on the other side?
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.
Customer: Is there something I can try? I am not sure if it worked before, I just purchased and the seller had no history on the unit.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Clock Technician should know?
Customer: No, if he has other questions let me know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Clock Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First make sure your weights are in the proper order. If the weights are not marked the heaviest weight goes on the RIGHT it runs the chimes the next heaviest in the CENTER it runs the pendulum the last weight goes on the LEFT it runs the strike. There are several things to check. First check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off, Next make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Make sure all the hammers are at least 1/8" above the chime rods at rest. Next look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Try this option out and let me know what happens and if you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself let me know your zip code location and I'll find a clock repair company for you. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.