Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

My mantle key wound clock is chiming in reverse i.e. the hour

Customer Question

my mantle key wound clock is chiming in reverse i.e. the hour hand is chiming once only when it reaches the 12 o'clock position. The clock is chiming multi times when the minute hand reaches the 6'clock position.
someone against my printed instructions wound both the time and chimes tight and then started the clock. Can I do anything to put it right? I believe the clock is German made.
Robert Logie. ***@******.***
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First you can try removing the minute hand the next time it chimes the hour and place the hand back onto the shaft at the 12 position. Next if that does not work the minute hand arbor which is the shaft the hand is on has got to be rotated back to the 12 position you can do this by using a pair of needle nose pliers and gently turn the shaft that the minute hand I on back to the 12 position. Next if that doesn't work the bushing that is around the arbor shaft will have to be repositioned. Try these options out and let me know what happens and if you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself let me know your zip code location and I can locate a clock repair shop in your area. Thanks Mike.If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.