Clock Repair

Have Clock Problems? Ask a Clock Expert and Get Answers ASAP

Clock Repair

He an miller mantle clock runs fast and has . Lever

Customer Question
He an miller mantle clock...
He an miller mantle clock runs fast and has for years. Lever adjustment will slow it down but it typically stops.
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.
Customer: I have adjusted the lever on the clock works to slow it down
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Clock Technician should know?
Customer: If it keeps the correct time it typically will stop running well before it needs to be wound.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Clock Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Clock Repair
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/1/2016
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 1 year ago
Mike, Consultant
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. What model Howard Miller clock do you have?​. Thanks Mike
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's the barrister 613-180. I got the name and number off the internet. the 613-180 is not written on my movement though. Mine says AEL02 Ech 354 526, but its the same shape as the barrister mantel clock.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There was a white tag on the bottom that does say model 613-180.
Hi, Yes on this model if the lever adjustment does not regulate the speed the coil in the balance wheel will need to be adjusted or the lever itself is slipping plus maintenance is an issue as well the clocks movement which should be a Keininger movement needs to be serviced every 3 to 5 years to keep the clock running at top condition meaning should be cleaned and re oiled. If you would like I can locate an authorized Howard Miller repair shop in your area just let me know your zip code location. Try these options and le me know what happens. Thanks MikeIf you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswerfor helping you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The lever does regulate the speed, the problem is it runs fast, so I move the lever to slow it down, the clock does slow down from 15 minutes fast per 12 hours to 5 minutes fast per 12 hours. If I move the lever further the clock runs a few minutes fast per 12 hours, but stops after two to three days.
Hi, Yes I understand that the lever regulates the speed what I was referring to is that the spring might need to be adjusted after you have the correct speed to have the clock run 6 to 7 days before rewinding. If you would like I can locate an authorized Howard Miller repair shop in your area just let me know your zip code location. Thanks MikeIf you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswerfor helping you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
11735. What cost should I expect forthis type of repair? How much would it cost to simply replace the movement?
Hi, It would be a lot cheaper than replacing the movement the cost would range from $75.00 to $125.00 depending on the severity. Here are a few authorized Howard Miller service shops in your area that can help you with your clock. Thanks Mike If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswerfor helping you. M & P CLOCK REPAIRApproximately 5.3 Miles from(###) ###-####PINE STHICKSVILLE, NY 11801 Phone:(###) ###-####GARY KUSHNICKApproximately 6.3 Miles from###-##-####ELM DRIVEBELLMORE, NY 11710 Phone:(###) ###-####MURRAY WOLINApproximately 17.5 Miles from###-##-####218TH STREETOAKLAND GARDENS, NY###-##-####hone:(###) ###-####
Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am unable to take the clock to one of the recommendened service shops until this weekend. After they look at it I'll let you know what they think of your advise.
Hi, OK please keep me posted. Thanks MikePLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As I posted yesterday; I am unable to take the clock to one of the recommendened service shops until this weekend. After they look at it I'll let you know what they think of your advise.
Hi, OK please keep me posted. Thanks Mike
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
While I'm waiting to take my clock to a service shop, please provide me with a step by step guide as to how I would do this repair on my own if I choose to do so. This would also give me an understanding of what it involved when I do bring it to a service shop. Please also identify any special tools that might be needed.
Hi, There are no special tools, if the lever that controls the speed will not bring the balance wheel to the correct speed and you can not adjust the lever any further the lever will need to be reset and if you do not have experience doing this procedure you might cause further damage to the movement, I would recommend a clock technician to do the repair. Thanks Mike PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It would still be helpful if you could give me a step by step procedure on what is involved. This will give me a basis to judge the fairness of the price I get from the service shop.
Hi, I would need to have the clock in front of me at my shop to give you a step by step procedure. You might have to remove the movement from the clock to easily work on the balance wheel this would involve removing the hands, the mounting screws that hold the movement to the backside of the face of the clock then see exactly how to reset the lever that controls the speed. Thanks MikePLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Mike, Consultant