Clock Repair

Have Clock Problems? Ask a Clock Expert and Get Answers ASAP

Clock Repair

E westminster chimes on my grandfatyer clck stopped working.

Customer Question
How can I ge it...
e westminster chimes on my grandfatyer clck stopped working. How can I ge it to chime again /
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I recentlyy began following nternet instruction. It wass said try movingg the minute hnd at 15 minute inncrementtuntil iit chimrs. Which I did. It worked. It was ten saidtoreemove the minuute hand and reset it. Which I did not. I cant get it to chime again. Can you help ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Clock Repair Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Clock Repair
3/17/2016
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 1 year ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll coverall options for you to try.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. The Right is for the chimes the left is for the strike There are several things to check. First check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off, Next make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next is maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. What happens is the gummy oil that is inside the coils of the mainsprings causes the coils to stick when fully wound not being able to release the power to let the clock chime or strike. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

.

by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

.

www.clockworks.com › Clock Repair Kits

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

.

.

.

.

.

Mike, Consultant