Clock Repair

Have Clock Problems? Ask a Clock Expert and Get Answers ASAP

Clock Repair

I just received a Kassel 31 day clock that is not working. I

Customer Question
used the key to whine...
I just received a Kassel 31 day clock that is not working. I used the key to whine it but it's not moving. I also do not know where to put the pendulum. It is a used clock without instructions, 1950's era
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?
Customer: not that I can think of but I want it to work
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Clock Technician about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Clock Repair
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/3/2016
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 1 year ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. There are 3 parts to a pendulum assembly SUSPENSION SPRING then the PENDULUM LEADER then the pendulum. I posted a picture below which will give you an idea but the pendulum should hang down from the pendulum leader in back of the movement. Your best start would first be maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the movement starts slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. What happens is that the old gummy oil inside the coils of the mainsprings causes the coils to stick not being able to release the power to make the clock run especially when wound to tight so it may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. To save my customers money from me servicing there clock I recommend one of the best cleaning kits available it comes with a step by step downloadable E BOOK and they ship worldwide I have told countless customers from around the world that have used this kit to service there clocks themselves. A good cleaning and re oiling job will add life and enjoyment. Just click the link below if it will let you if not go to google.com and type the link on the google search bar. When the page comes up go to clock tools cleaning and oiling or go to the search line type in clock cleaning E book when that page comes up scroll down to clock cleaning kit then click view page. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime this will allow the Right & LEFT mainsprings to wind down if you have 3 winding ports if you only have 2 winding ports the RIGHT is for the strike and the left for your time. For releasing the tension on the mainspring that runs the pendulum you will have to let the pendulum leader to run but since it hasn't ran well you will have to release the tension by using a mainspring winding tool. When working on fully wound mainsprings you have got to be careful because they on under a lot of pressure and if the spring pops you can get hurt so always wear safety glasses. I use a tool called a mainspring winder. I would try cleaning and re oiling the movement first and start there. Try these option out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

.

www.clockworks.com › Clock Repair Kits

.

The success of this E-Book is from the simplicity in the answers and the ease of use. This will make it very easy for the clock owner to solve simple problems that may arise when there is an issue with the clock.

The topics you see below are the actual topics that are presented on the cover page of the E-Book. Please review them and see if this E-Book will help you. You will find this very helpful in solving many different clock repair issues and questions on cleaning and oiling a movement.

.

Spring Driven

• Introduction
  • Putting it "In Beat"
  • Ticks ok but stops
  • No tick tock sound
  • Working with mainsprings
  • Chiming the wrong time
  • Setting quarter chimes
  • Cleaning - Assembled
  • Cleaning - Disassembled
  • Reassembling the works
  • Repair methods
  • Replacing with a new movement

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

.

.

.

.

Mike, Consultant