Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I recently inherited my father's grandfather clock. It is a

Customer Question

Hi! I recently inherited my father's grandfather clock. It is a Howard Miller Clock. Probably made around 1980?? After moving it we made sure the clock was level and the weights are in the correct positions. But it won't work. Note this was in working order at my parents' house. It chimed once and nothing since. It doesn't make that "whirring sound" when you advance the time. And the hands are not moving. Please help.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. When you start the pendulum does it stop after a few minutes? If so restart the pendulum then listen to the tick-tock on the clock and see if it is nice, even tick-tock. Equal time between the TICK and the TOCK. The pendulum to make it swing exactly equal distances from dead center to the left, as from dead center to the right. If a clock is out of beat, the pendulum will swing for a few minutes, then stop. If the beat is irregular like: tick---tock------tick-tock, an adjustment must be made or the clock will stop. This can be done by either try leveling again from left to right until you hear the most even tick-tock. If this fails, you may take off the pendulum and slightly move the pendulum leader from left to right or right to left until it almost or starts moving back and forth on it's own. Rehang the pendulum and the clock should continue. As for the chimes first make sure the hammers move freely up & down and also check to see if they are all at the same height at rest. The RIGHT it runs the chimes, the CENTER it runs the pendulum, the LEFT it runs the strike.
Next make sure the chime selector lever is not in the off position if you have one
it should be located on the face of your clock or on the side depending on what model you have, Also check to see if the retard bar is in the down position on top of the hammers that lift to make your clock chime. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. The worst case from moving the clock would be you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Try these options out and let me know what happens and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried everything you suggested. It looks like I need an expert in my area, please.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can find a authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My zip code is 94546. Hayward/Castro Valley area. Alameda County. Thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Here are a few authorized Howard Miller repair companies all within 25 miles of your home that can help you with your clock. Thanks Mike

.

.

SAN LEANDRO CLOCK SHOP

Approximately 4.6 Miles from 94546
1060 E 14TH STREET
SAN LEANDRO, CA###-##-####br />Phone:(###) ###-####br />.

DUBLIN CLOCK SHOP

Approximately 8.4 Miles from 94546
7057 VILLAGE PARKWAY
DUBLIN, CA 94568
Phone:(###) ###-####br />.

THE CLOCK SHOP

Approximately 9.6 Miles from 94546*****br />ALAMEDA, CA 94501
Phone:(###) ###-####br />.

CLOCKS ETC

Approximately 13.2 Miles from 94546*****br />LAFAYETTE, CA 94549
Phone:(###) ###-####br />.

WATCH WORKS

Approximately 15.0 Miles from 94546
2589 N MAIN STREET
WALNUT CREEK, CA 94597
Phone:(###) ###-####br />.

CLASSICAL CLOCKS & ANTIQUES

Approximately 16.3 Miles from 94546
1082 EAST STANLEY BLVD
LIVERMORE, CA 94550
Phone:(###) ###-####br />
.

CLOCKWORLD

Approximately 19.6 Miles from 94546*****br />SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94109
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome. Thank you!
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Your Welcome, If you ever need help in the future just ask.. Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock ? Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.