Clock Repair

Have Clock Problems? Ask a Clock Expert and Get Answers ASAP

Clock Repair

Our grandfather clock was wound too tightly and two of the

Customer Question
weights will not move. Only...
Our grandfather clock was wound too tightly and two of the weights will not move. Only one weight is working. Is there anyway we can safely fix it? I have been unable to locate a repairman in the area.
Kay Cunningham
[email protected] .com
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Clock Repair
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/22/2015
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 2 years ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. There are several ways to try. First you can run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime do this for a 24 to 48 hour session this will allow the RIGHT & LEFT weights to drop you can also be pulling gently down on the LEFT or RIGHT weight as you are doing this if needed. Swinging the pendulum back and fourth will allow the CENTER weight to drop but it will take a little time to do so because this weight drops the slowest or you can remove the pendulum them start the pendulum hanger swinging and you can also be gently pulling down on the CENTER weight as well. The next option if that doesn't help is maintenance what happens is that when you wind the mainspring to tight is that the old oil becomes sticky causing the coils to stick together not allowing the mainspring to release the power to make the clock chime these type clock movements should be cleaned and re oiled every 3 to 5 years to keep in top running condition I get this all the time in my shop. If these options do not solve your problem then you have to go into the movement and manually release the mainspring by using a special tool called a mainspring winder. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

.

.

We are very happy with your answer. Our clock is now working perfectly. I gave you an "excellent" on the rating. Thank you so much for your helpful answers. I will definitely ask justanswer.com for future questions.

Hi, Thanks for the rating if you ever need help in the future just ask. Thanks Again Mike

Mike, Consultant