Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I've inherited a grandfather clock from my husband's family.

Customer Question

I've inherited a grandfather clock from my husband's family. I finally got the tick to stay on beat, but now the clock doesn't chime. Suggestions?
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. There are several things to check. First check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off, Next make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next would be maintenance the clocks movement should be cleaned and re oiled every 3 to 5 years what happens is that the old gummy oil causes the chimes to start slowing down or come to a stop or they become dry and the chimes stop working plus f the clock at without running can cause a problem as well. Try these options out and let me know what happens and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live out in the country, and no one will make a trip to our house. I guess country folk can't get clock service. The only time it chimes is when i take it off of the silence position. So, I know it works. The retard bar is far away as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hear a click but there is no chime.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Yes you might need to get the chime/strike train looked at. If you want I can still find a clock repair company in your area that makes housecalls just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

for helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's exactly what I determined. It's the struck train. My zip is 52756, but you may want to know that the closest repair guy refuses to return my call.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Her are the companies that can help you with your clock that are within 50 miles of your zip code. Thanks Mike

.

.

for helping you.

.

.

EPKES CLOCK REPAIR
116 W DAVENPORT STREET
ELDRIDGE, IA 52748
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

.

.

TROSEN CLOCK REPAIR*****W
MUSCATINE, IA 52761
Phone:(###) ###-####br />Fax:(###) ###-####/p>

.

.

MARK ARNOLD
705 S CENTER STREET
GENESEO, IL 61254
Cell Phone:(###) ###-####br />Fax:(###) ###-####/p>

.

.

WCK CLOCK REPAIR*****br />PROPHETSTOWN, IL 61277
Phone:(###) ###-####

.

.

OLDE TYME CLOCK SHOP*****
KEWANEE, IL 61443
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. But they won't come out here. I'll go to clock school myself. LOL :)
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, You should try to see if they will they state they will make house calls. Ok if you need help in the future just ask. Thanks Mike

.

.

for helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've offered to pay them for their 20 mile trip, but they won't. I guess I was hoping you could give me some specific things I could try on my own, since I seem to be out of options.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Every company refuses to come out to your home I'll have to note this in my records so I won't recommend them for further customers. Sorry I gave you all options to try without a company looking at your clock. If I had the clock at my shop I could figure the problem out. Sometimes it isn't an easy fix. Thanks Mike

.

.

for helping you.