Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have an old wind up clock...there are 3 places that need

Customer Question

Hello
I have an old wind up clock...there are 3 places that need to be wound. The one I think I wound it too far. Now the clock is suppose to chime every 15 minutes then chime the hour. The hour chime is not working as it is wound to the end I think...it is stuck if that makes sense. Anything I can do?
Category: Clock Repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can give you more information as needed!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime this will let the LEFT & RIGHT mainsprings to loosen up. Next when trying to run the clock manually if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next would be maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes start slowing down or sticking, or they might finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. What happens is that the coils inside the mainsprings when wound to tight the coils will stick together and will not be able to release the power to make the clock chime. If that is the case to save my customers money from me servicing there clock I recommend one of the best cleaning kits available it comes with a step by step downloadable E BOOK. A good cleaning and re oiling job will add life and enjoyment. Just click the link below if it will let you if not go to google.com and type the link on the google search bar. When the page comes up go to clock tools cleaning and oiling or go to the search line type in clock cleaning E book when that page comes up scroll down to clock cleaning kit then click view page. Try these option out and let me know what happens. If you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself I can find a clock repair company just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few companies that can help you out. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

.

.

www.clockworks.com › Clock Repair Kits

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the clock has recently been cleaned and tuned up
i just need to know how to get the one i over wound to unwind....i have moved hands by hand and the 15 minute chime works but the top of the hour chime (the one thats too tight) wont work.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hi, The one that is to tight would be the LEFT winding port it runs the strike. If it isn't chiming the hour the problem is most likely in the trip lever like I mentioned above the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position or might be loose or might just be stuck to fall into the locking cam to make the clock strike and chime the hour. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Thanks Mike

.

.

for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can I get the one that is too tightly wound to become unwound?
Can I take a picture and send it to you
Show you what I mean
I need to get the one unwound
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Yes you can send pictures but if the mainspring is inside the metal barrel you will need a special tool call a mainspring winder and a let down key. It's not as easy as some think 99.9% of spring driven movements have click(s) and click spring(s). These items along with the ratchet wheel allow you to wind in one (1) direction while they keep the mainspring from unwinding. This is due to the fact that the click makes contact with the ratchet wheel and the ratchet wheel is affixed to the main wheel arbor (axle). It is these clicks and click springs that will allow you to "unwind" or take the power off the mainspring. To let the power down, you will need a set of let down keys. These are sometimes called bench keys. Let down keys usually have their own size keys for proper fit on the mainspring-winding arbor. You can also find let down handles and keys that will allow you to use the original key used in "normal" winding to let down the mainspring. First find the right size let down key and place it on the winding arbor. Then release the spring part of the click spring (usually on loop end mainsprings) but sometimes you will have to hold the click away from the ratchet manually (usually on hole end mainsprings). When you release the click spring, the click will stay in place because of the potential energy stored in the mainspring. But when you manually release the click from the ratchet wheel be prepared to hold the bench key firmly because that is the only thing from letting the mainspring unwind at a very fast and uncontrollable speed. The same goes for when you start to wind the mainspring and gently push the click out of the way (on loop end mainsprings mostly). This winding process is actually the start of the let down procedure. Wind a small amount, in the tightening direction, so it is just enough to allow you to "clear" the click from the ratchet wheel. With nothing to prevent the mainspring from unwinding, it is you and the let down key that have all the power. So make sure the movement is secure because it can start moving and it can "get away" from you and cause all kinds of damage. Now start to let up on the holding pressure on the hand holding the let down key. The mainspring will start to unwind. Unwind the mainspring as slowly as you can comfortably without letting the mainspring down too fast. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Thanks Mike

.

.

for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not really...you told me to take it to a clock repair person...I could have done that before i spent 48 dollars here. Oh well live and learn.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm sorry but I gave you all options to try yourself without a repair company helping you sometimes it isn't an easy fix. I do not have anything to do with the billing. Thanks Mike