Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

Mike....I am trying to help my neighbor with her Seth Thomas…

Customer Question
Hi Mike....I am trying to...
Hi Mike....I am trying to help my neighbor with her Seth Thomas Grand Father clock. I was able to get ot run again by using canned air and silicon spray. The only problem is it only chimes once on the hour. 1/4ly chimes are correct.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Clock Repair
6/26/2015
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 2 years ago
Mike, Consultant
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll cover all options. First make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Next look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip
into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments.Next is maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. If you decide to clean and re oil the movement To save my customers money from me servicing there clock I recommend one of the best cleaning kits available it comes with a step by step DVD. A good cleaning and re oiling job will add life and enjoyment. Just click the link below if it will let you if not go to google.com and type the link on the google search bar. When the page comes up go to clock tools cleaning and oiling or go to the search line type in clock cleaning E book when that page comes up scroll down to clock cleaning kit then click view page. Try these options out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike
If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.
www.clockworks.com › Clock Repair Kits
Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike
Mike, Consultant