Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

My 100 year old grandfather clock that I purchased in Germany…

Customer Question
My 100 year old grandfather...
My 100 year old grandfather clock that I purchased in Germany 50 years ago ran perfectly and chimes beautifully until all of a sudden it began stopping when the minute hand gets to about 10...do you have any idea what could be wrong? When I try to move it it moves but it seems to be caught on something. Thanks for your opinion.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Clock Repair
Answered in 2 days by:
6/18/2015
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 3 years ago
Mike, Consultant
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Sorry for the delay I was in the hospital. I'll try to cover all options. Your description leads me to deduce your chime/strike train is not locking itself after completion of a sequence. This could be due to a number of causes, however, in this instance I focus on on the following. As a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. Next when the minute hand goes around to the 10 the clock wants to get ready to go into chime warning mode which there could be a worn or damaged tooth on the gear that gets the chiming mode ready to chime. Next the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. If you want to attempt the correction yourself I would recommend you to the following book from your local library. "THE CLOCK REPAIR FIRST READER" by "Phillip Bascomb." Beginning on page 6.10 Mr Bascomb illustrates and describes the working of a time/strike train. This book, with its illustrations, at hand you should provide a reasonable shot at doing it yourself. I would try cleaning and re oiling the movement first. Next if you wish to try cleaning the movement yourself to save my customers money from me servicing there clock I recommend one of the best cleaning kits available it comes with a step by step DVD. A good cleaning and re oiling job will add life and enjoyment. Just click the link below if it will let you if not go to google.com and type the link on the google search bar. When the page comes up go to clock tools cleaning and oiling or go to the search line type in clock cleaning E book when that page comes up scroll down to clock cleaning kit then click view page. If you elect to seek a repair company I can find a clock repair company in your area let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Best wishes MikeIf you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer " OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you. www.clockworks.com › Clock Repair Kits
Hi Charlotte, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike