Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

I have Smths Mantle clock. The clock ha 3 wind up points and…

Customer Question
I have Smths Mantle clock...
I have Smths Mantle clock. The clock ha 3 wind up points and chimes on the hour and on each quarter. The problem is I'm unable to start the pendulum to move in normal motion. The pendulum is free and moves , but it wi not continue to move. Thanksll
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Clock Repair
5/25/2015
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 3 years ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi Kevin, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. There are several options that might be wrong. The 3 winding ports go as follows the RIGHT is for the chimes the CENTER is for the pendulum and the LEFT is for the strike. First make sure the clock is level both ways front to back and side to side. Next restart the pendulum then listen to the tick-tock on the clock and see if it is nice, even tick-tock. It should sound steady and even like a metronome. Equal time between the TICK and the TOCK. The pendulum needs to swing exactly equal distances from dead center to the left, as from dead center to the right. If a clock is out of beat, the pendulum will swing for a few minutes, then stop even if the clock case is level. If the pendulum stops after a few minutes then it might be out of beat. If the beat is irregular like: tock,tick--tock,tick- an adjustment must be made or the clock will stop. This can be done by either try leveling again from left to right by moving the clock very slightly from the bottom until you hear the most even tick-tock. This may not be physically level for the clock case. If this fails you may take off the pendulum and slightly move the pendulum leader from left to right or right to left until it almost or starts moving back and forth on it's own. It should have the same feel from dead center to right and dead center to left. Rehang the pendulum and the clock should continue and you are done. Next is maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the pendulum starts slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. What happens is that the old gummy oil inside the coils of the mainspring becomes sticky causeing the coils to stick together not allowing the spring to release the pressure needed to run the pendulum. To save my customers money from me servicing there clock I recommend one of the best cleaning kits available it comes with a step by step DVD and covers mantle clocks. Plus they ship to the UK and the postage isn't that much. A good cleaning and re oiling job will add life and enjoyment. Just click the link below if it will let you if not go to google.com and type the link on the google search bar. When the page comes up go to clock tools cleaning and oiling or go to the search line type in clock cleaning E book when that page comes up scroll down to clock cleaning kit then click view page.Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

.

.

.

www.clockworks.com › Clock Repair Kits

.

.

.

Hi Kevin, I was wondering if you needed further assistance with your clock. Thanks Mike

Hi Kevin, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike
Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike