Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

Purchased A Howard Miller Grandfather Clock Model 610-223 that…

Customer Question
Purchased A Howard Miller Grandfather...
Purchased A Howard Miller Grandfather Clock Model 610-223 that does not chime.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Clock Repair
5/23/2015
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 3 years ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll cover all options for you to check. First of all make sure the clock is level both ways front to back and side to side. Next make sure the weights are in the correct order they should be marked R, C, L if they are not marked The heaviest weight goes on the RIGHT it runs the chimes, next heaviest in the CENTER it runs the pendulum, lightest on the LEFT it runs the strike. Next check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off, Next make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get
it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments.Next is maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

.

.

Hi, I was wondering if you needed further assistance with your clock. Thanks Mike