Clock Repair

Have Clock Problems? Ask a Clock Expert and Get Answers ASAP

Clock Repair

moved grandfather clock and wound too tight. Got that to work

Customer Question
moved grandfather clock and wound...
moved grandfather clock and wound too tight. Got that to work but it won't chime.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Clock Repair
5/29/2012
Clock Repair Expert: Will, Consultant replied 5 years ago
Will
Will, Consultant
I am a bit confused...are you saying you have a weight or spring driven clock? If it is stuck, you need to remove the weights and then rotate the minute hand clockwise for several cycles and see if the chain moves at all...if not, you will need to trace the threading of the chain, which may require removal of the face/dial. Once you are assured the chain is threaded and moving, replace the weights, set the time, and off you go...make sure you did not inadvertantly hit a chime silence, if you have one--and check for free motion in all portions. Whatever you do, don't force the movement or pull on the chains--that can cause more serious issues. If by chance you did that, you need to contact a professional before potentially causing costly damage to the sync or works themselves. Best, Will

It's a weight driven clock. It is running and keeping perfect time. It just doesn't chime. And of course since it doesn't chime the weight doesn't go down. I checked to be sure it was on chime. It has been working for almost 24 hours, just no chime.

You have the symptoms of gummed works...if the clock has not been cleaned and serviced and lubricated within the past two years, that is a likely cause...if the chime actuators move freely by hand, the only typical problem is a lack of lubrication or dust build up. You can GENTLY give the chain a slight tug after you have checked to make sure it is on the guides properly, but it honestly sounds like it needs a good cleaning to me...nothing other really to go wrong with most, unless they get jammed by force and something gets bent or misaligned...
I haven't taken the face off to see if the chains are not tangled. Was afraid of what I might get into if I did that. The weight on the left and the one on the right doesn't move. And no chime. It keeps perfect time. The weight in middle goes down. What all is behind the face? Sorry I haven't gotten back to you been so busy, but still would love my clock to work.
Removing the dial will give you full access to the upper parts of the chain guides, which sometimes can get bound up....again, you have all the classic symptoms of either a tangled or misaligned cable/chain or "gummed" works...

Thank you for your help. If I take the face off is it very hard to put everything back where it belongs? I am so afraid I will do it more harm. What does the left and right weight do? One is the chime what is the other?

On most grandfather clocks, the:
1) Right weight powers the chime melody
2) Middle weight powers the pendulum
3) Left weight powers the hour strike

=

As long as you are gentle and don't FORCE anything, removing the dial is not a big deal...just remove the hands first, of course! To reassemble, just reverse what you did...generally you only need a small screwdriver and a pair of needle nosed pliers. Best, Will

Will
Will, Consultant
Thank you so much again for your help and your patience with me. I am going to accept your answer. Thanks again, and wish me luck..
Good luck! As long as you don't FORCE anything, you honestly can't hurt it...Best, Will
Will
Will
Will, Consultant