Clock Repair

I have a Hermle 451-050H (94CM) movement. The quarter hour…

Customer Question
I have a Hermle 451-050H...
I have a Hermle 451-050H (94CM) movement. The quarter hour chimes will not strike (thus the hour also does not strike). The chain moves on the sproket and I have the heavy weight on the right hand chain. The hammers start but do not seem to have enought "oomph" to finish. Any suggestions. Thank you.... Read full answer
I have a Hermle 451-050H (94CM) movement. The quarter hour chimes will not strike (thus the hour also does not strike). The chain moves on the sproket and I have the heavy weight on the right hand chain. The hammers start but do not seem to have enought "oomph" to finish. Any suggestions. Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Clock Repair
4/17/2012
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 7 years ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement)
to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others,
the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. As a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 5 years.

If you would like to try to clean the movement yourself this is how I do in my shop.

Recipe for Brass
For clocks that are made of brass, use this recipe: 1 tsp. of salt, 1 cup of white vinegar
and enough flour to create a paste. First, dissolve the salt into the vinegar and then add the flour.
Rub it on as you would with any other type of cleaner, but be gentle with the parts.
Rinse the parts off with water, rubbing them dry and making sure there is no residue or water left.
This recipe will not damage brass, and gloves are not required.

Instructions
Things You'll Need
Screwdriver
Compressed air
2 lint-free cloths
Clock cleaning solution
Cotton swabs
Clock oil

1
Remove the back of the clock using a screwdriver, if required.
Inside, you should see numerous gears, springs, and weights.
If your clock is equipped with a pendulum, remove it.

2
Point the compressed air nozzle at the gears and spray bursts of air
into the movements to remove fine dust and particles.
Angle the nozzle in different directions to ensure you hit hard-to-reach areas.

3
Dip your lint-free cloth into clock cleaning solution. Do not over saturate.
Begin carefully wiping all visible gears to remove excess oils and grit. Over time,
oil combined with grit can hinder the movement of the gears. Ensure large, visible particles are removed.

4
Dip a cotton swab into the clock cleaning solution and gently rub areas that you were unable to reach with the cloth.
Be sure to remove any particles left behind with the cotton swab. After cleaning,
rub a clean cotton swab over all visible parts to remove any excess cleaning solution.

5
Check the movement of the gears to ensure they are working smoothly by gently turning the gears with your fingers.

6
Dip a lint-free cloth into clock oil. Do not use WD-40 or any other oil.
Clock oil is specially blended to lubricate clock works without gumming up the parts.
Gently lubricate all moving gears using a lint-free cloth. Dip a cotton swab in clock oil
to access areas that you cannot reach with the cloth.

7
Replace the pendulum if your clock requires one. Replace the backing of the clock using a screwdriver if needed.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself If you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area.

Thank you. XXXXX posted the question I "fooled" a little more with the clock and the quarter hour chimes worked for a day but they were very slow. The hour chimes worked fine when they should have. After a day the quarter hour chimes stopped again. Based on your answer I believe that the movement needs to be cleaned. The movement was installed in 1999 and has never been oiled. It is actually the second movement, as I built the clock in 1979, but never cleaned or oiled the first movement. I have actually built four clocks, but have never done anything with the movements after they have been installed. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Just follow the instructions that I posted in my first answer for cleaning. This will do wonders for your clock and add life and enjoyment to your clock. Upkeep on the clock should be done every 3 to 5 years. Thanks Mike

Mike, Consultant
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Hermle 451 - 050H The chime works perfectly on the quarter
Hermle 451 - 050H The chime works perfectly on the quarter hours, but will not start on the hour. It can be activated by lifting the chime lever, and them works fine including the strike. Oiling the m… read more
Consultant,
I have a hermle movement 451-050H (weights) that keeps time
i have a hermle movement 451-050H (weights) that keeps time but quit chiming (it was moved without proper preparation) … read more
Consultant,
I recently bought a Hersechede Grandfather Clock, but don't
I recently bought a Hersechede Grandfather Clock, but don't much about it. Markings on it are: N0101 Jewels, Made in West Germany, UNAB or UNAD, JUSTE3 and 451-053. Is there anything you can tell me w… read more
Consultant,
Stop searching for answers—
we have a howard miller and the clock tells time but the chimes
we have a howard miller and the clock tells time but the chimes were wound too high and have stopped… read more
Consultant,
I pulled my left and right weights up too high. The middle
I pulled my left and right weights up too high. The middle weight is lowering normally. The left and right do don't lower at all and the chiming has stopped completely.… read more
Consultant,
I just purchased a used Rockler grandmother clock with your
I just purchased a used Rockler grandmother clock with your 451-050H movement. Two of the chains are totally extended{need to be pulled to raise the weight}and the third one is pulled upis a,.so aa{wi… read more
Consultant,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Hi, I just purchased on e bay a Ridgeway grandfather clock,
Hi, I just purchased on e bay a Ridgeway grandfather clock, Model# XXXXX it has a Hermle 451-033 movement, 114cm pendulum. Lovely clock but the two outside weights do not drop. I don't know the histor… read more
Consultant,
My grandfathr clock has stopped chiming. Nither the minute
My grandfathr clock has stopped chiming. Nither the minute or hour chimes work. Is there one movement that controls these operations that I can check?… read more
Consultant,
I have an Emperor Clock by Germle-USA identified by 79 451-050 94CM 66 The
I have an Emperor Clock by Hermle-USA identified by 79 451-050 94CM 66 The chimes have stopped working. The problem is not a binding of the chain because the rewind is free and easy to use. It seems a… read more
Consultant,
We have an antique Elliott London grandfather clock. The heaviest
We have an antique Elliott London grandfather clock. The heaviest weight is not lowering so the chime on the quarter hour does not chime. What is the correct setting to correct this? Thanks, Pama… read more
Consultant,
I have grandfather clock serial #481000 purchased 1987.Problem
I have grandfather clock serial #481000 purchased 1987.Problem 3 chains and 2 outside chains will not drop. Brand Howard Miller… read more
Consultant,
The left and right weights of my Ridgeway grandfather clock
The left and right weights of my Ridgeway grandfather clock are not dropping and thus the clock is not chimming. What adjustments can I make to correct this?… read more
Consultant,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a Trend Grandfather clock and the two side weights
I have a Trend Grandfather clock and the two side weights will not move. Only the middle one goes down. The clock will not chime. IThe chimes are not on silent.… read more
Consultant,
The first question I asked was that we had moved our clock
The first question I asked was that we had moved our clock and after setting it up again it would not chime. The expert told me to make sure the heavy weight was on the far right side. That seemed to … read more
Consultant,
I have a Howard Miller Grandfather clock. It has 3 weights.
I have a Howard Miller Grandfather clock. It has 3 weights. In the last couple of weeks, only the middle weight seems to be descending and in the last week or so the chime stopped working. It still ke… read more
Consultant,
How can I order parts for a Hermle movement "80" 451-050H? I
How can I order parts for a Hermle movement "80" 451-050H? I need weights, chains and hands. I have 3 chains, 2 are brass, and one is silver and a bit heavier than the other 2. I think the silver one … read more
Will
Will
Executive Director,
All of the weights work properly and the 1/4 hr chimes work,
All of the weights work properly and the 1/4 hr chimes work, but the hour chimes do not chime. What can I do to fix it?… read more
Chris C
Chris C
Professional Clock Repairer,
just installed hermle 1151-053HS 94cm pendulum. Everything
just installed hermle 1151-053HS 94cm pendulum. Everything worked until I set the time correctly. Now the chimes and hour strikes don't work. they do click when I move the minute hand around. Thanks.… read more
Chris C
Chris C
Professional Clock Repairer,