Clock Repair

Ive got a clockwork, chiming, wall clock with 3 "winding"

I've got a clockwork, chiming...
I've got a clockwork, chiming, wall clock with 3 "winding" positions. It's about 25 years old and is supposed to be a "7 day" wind. However just recently it needs re-winding every 2-3 days and the chiming on the quarters hours is very slow and laborious and sometimes seems to "miss a note" in it's chimes. Any suggestions as to what can be done?... Read full answer
I've got a clockwork, chiming, wall clock with 3 "winding" positions. It's about 25 years old and is supposed to be a "7 day" wind. However just recently it needs re-winding every 2-3 days and the chiming on the quarters hours is very slow and laborious and sometimes seems to "miss a note" in it's chimes. Any suggestions as to what can be done?
2/21/2012
Mike, Consultant

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you. As a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen.
It may need cleaning and oiling.

Clock movements are delicate and important features of any clock.
When the movements are dirty, it causes the components to move sluggishly or unevenly.
This makes the clock run slower and, in some cases, may even keep the clock from working.
Cleaning a wall clock is a process you should undertake once every five to 10 years
to keep the interior mechanisms working properly and to remove any dirt or buildup trapped inside the clock. If you would like to try to clean the movement here are the directions for this task it will save you money having to bring it to a clock repair company. First let the clock completly run down.

Instructions
Things You'll Need
Screwdriver
12mm brush
Rubbing alcohol
Un-winder
Warm water
Hairdryer
Clock oil

1

Remove the pendulum if you have one then the clocks movement with a small screwdriver set out on a cotton towel

2
Dip a 12mm paintbrush in rubbing alcohol and slowly brush it over the pinion teeth and pivots.
The rubbing alcohol completely cleans the clock movements, and then naturally evaporates.
Wipe the interior clock movements a second time with the paintbrush and more rubbing alcohol,
making sure you clean all areas.

3
Rub the alcohol-soaked brush over the wheels and pinions. Unwind the springs inside the clock with an un-winder.
Wipe down the springs with warm water, knocking loose any dust or debris stuck on these areas.
Check the clock movements carefully for any spots you may have missed.

4
Direct a hairdryer at the back of the clock and turn it to the lowest setting.
Slowly move the hairdryer around the back of the clock, using the low heat to dry the clock movements.
Once the clock movements are completely dry, turn the hairdryer off.

5
Apply a thin layer of clock oil to all movements inside the clock, including the pivots.
The only areas that don't require oiling are the gears and pinions. Place a small drop of oil on the movements;
the clock will spread that around during regular movement.

If you want I can find a clock repair company in your area
let me know your location in the UK and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
Positive feedback is always appreciated and PLEASE remember to
click the ACCEPT button so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
There is no additional fee charged for my services.

Mike, Consultant
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
The previous owner "turned off" the chimes to a Seth
The previous owner "turned off" the chimes to a Seth Thomas Grandmother clock. I am wanting the chimes to work … read more
Bonifacio Gomez
Bonifacio Gomez
Technical course
We have an Adina pendulum wall clock the has Westminister
Good Morning: we have an Adina pendulum wall clock the has Westminister chime quarter hourly. Also there are 12 Classic tunes that play in rotatiom on the hour, and 6 Xmas carols similarly. Can the tu… read more
Consultant,
How do you adjust 354009h movement? It is a model 612-533
It is a model 612-533 with 354009H movement burchased at a yard sale. … read more
Consultant,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a Seth no. 124 clock that misses the last note on the
I have a Seth Thomas no. 124 clock that misses the last note on the hour CHIME, then plays the hour dongs. The missed note then plays at quarter after, the quarter after plays at the half and so on. S… read more
Consultant,
I seem to have overwound my chiming mantel clock. the chimes
I seem to have overwound my chiming mantel clock. the chimes are not working on the hour … read more
Consultant,
Clock not working right. two weights are not moving. Wound
Clock not working right. two weights are not moving. Wound it and two of the three weights stopped lowering?… read more
Consultant,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a Millennium Wall clock that quit chiming on the
I have a Howard Miller Millennium Wall clock that quit chiming on the quarter hour and striking on the hour. I have tried the stop chime lever in both off and on positions. Both chiming and striking s… read more
Consultant,
Ethan wall clock with pendulum chimes incorrect hour and
ethan allen wall clock with pendulum chimes incorrect hour and quarter hour … read more
Consultant,
Hello, I have a new hermle (chesham) wall clock that is not
Hello, I have a new hermle (chesham) wall clock that is not chiming properly, the instructional diagram I received with the clock doesn't match my clock! Is this something I can fix myself or do I nee… read more
Consultant,
How do I correctly "wind" and set my grandfather clock? The
How do I correctly "wind" and set my grandfather clock? The chimes don't seem to be in sequence, and it doesn't always keep time… read more
Consultant,
Our 32 yr old Ansonia wall clock which is supposed to chime
Our 32 yr old Ansonia wall clock which is supposed to chime every 15 minutes, and should chime "the number of hours" when the minute hand reaches 12. There are 3 holes to wind. Recently, the clock sto… read more
Consultant,
My grandfather clock chimes are not in sync. They ring at the
My grandfather clock chimes are not in sync. They ring at the right time but there are extra chimes at the 3/4 hour and hour and not enough at the 1/4 and 1/2.… read more
Will
Will
Executive Director,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a New England 8 day clock with a Hermie movement. Somehow
I have a New England 8 day clock with a Hermie movement. Somehow I have messed up the timing of the chimes for the hour and quarter hours. The clock is wound and keeping good time. But this morning it… read more
Consultant,
I have a 30 year old pearl grandfather clock with moon dials
I have a 30 year old pearl grandfather clock with moon dials that i have reset hundreds of times and it was off for about 7 days and after reseting it now chimes 3 extra times for each hour and i cant… read more
Consultant,
I just bought a Seth Cymbal #5. Keeps great time but it's
I just bought a Seth Thomas Cymbal #5. Keeps great time but it's striking wrong. Twice at the quarter,3 times at the half, multiple strikes depending on the hour at the 3/4, and a single chime on the … read more
Will
Will
Executive Director,
We have our clock set for 7am to 10 pm chiming. It chimes from
We have our clock set for 7am to 10 pm chiming. It chimes from 8 until 10 just fine. However when granpa wakes up at 7 it chimes the quarter hour. at the quarter it strikes the half and at the half it… read more
Will
Will
Executive Director,
I have a Ridgeway wall clock that will chime the hour at quater
I have a Ridgeway wall clock that will chime the hour at quater after. I can set the time and it will chime at the hour for about 24hrs and then goes back to chime the hour at quarter after. Is their … read more
Chris C
Chris C
Professional Clock Repairer,
General Information and Recommendations from the Experts
After shimming the case and several different tries, the clock now works and the pendulum remains in synch and does not stop. I'm having some trouble with getting the clock to keep time accurately; it… read more
Chris C
Chris C
Professional Clock Repairer,