Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

My Howard Miller grandfather clock chimes are totally out of

My Howard Miller grandfather clock chimes are totally out of sync. someone moved the hands to reset the time and didn't let the chimes go off like you are instructed to do when resetting these clocks. for example: at 3:45 the clock chimed seven times, not sure what our friend did or if we can get the chimes back in sync.

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you. First, The next time the clock chimes the hour move just the HOUR HAND ONLY to match the number of chimes.
Next move the minute hand only in a clockwise manor stopping to let the clock chime until you reach the desired time. This should cure your problem if not you'll have to remove the hands after it chimes out of sync to match the chimes then replace the hands back onto the shaft.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The chimes are now ringing on the hour, but not the correct number. (We didn't take any action, the clock did this after I had contacted Just Answer). At 10 pm it donged once. Do we stop the pendulum before we move the hands as you have instructed above. For example: If it is 11 pm and the clock chimes 2 am - do we only move the hour hand to 2 and wait to start the pendulum again when it is the correct time? Thank you for your prompt response. I will not hesitate to pay you. As far as removing the hands from the shaft, I do not feel comfortable in doing that. I will probably call a clock repairman in our area to do that.

No you don't have to stop the pendulum. The next time the clock chimes the hour for example at 11 am it chimed twice move just the HOUR HAND ONLY to the 2 then move the minute hand only stopping to let the clock chime then just go through the sequence until you reach the desired time.