Clock Repair

Have Clock Problems? Ask a Clock Expert and Get Answers ASAP

Clock Repair

I have a 30 year old pearl grandfather clock with moon dials

Customer Question
that i have reset hundreds...
I have a 30 year old pearl grandfather clock with moon dials that i have reset hundreds of times and it was off for about 7 days and after reseting it now chimes 3 extra times for each hour and i cant figure out the problem
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Clock Repair
12/24/2011
Clock Repair Expert: Will, Consultant replied 6 years ago
Will
Will, Consultant
Does this have a battery backup installed?
no battery
I will opt out in case Mike is on...have to scurry to the inlaws! If he does not get back with you, I will follow up tomorrow. Happy New Year!
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 6 years ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you.

Let me do some research and I'll get back to you shortly.

A Pearl Grandfather clock has inner and outer mechanisms that synchronize together. If one part of the clock is faulty, it can cause other parts of the clock to malfunction. These types of clocks are known for their pendulums, weights and chimes that need to be adjusted.

Instructions

Things You'll Need

• Small pliers
  • Clock oil

• 1

Confirm that your Pearl Grandfather clock is level. Always work on a clock in the place it is meant to be on display. Moving a Pearl Grandfather clock after adjustments may mess up the alignment of its weights and pendulum. Place a small piece of carpet or wood under the footing of the Grandfather clock if it's off-balance, and check that the clock is leaning against a flat wall surface for support.

• 2

Take a small pair of pliers, and open up the side panel of the Pearl Grandfather clock. Examine the weights to see if they are in the right order. Look on the bottom of the weights to see where they are marked "Left," "Right" and "Center." Adjust the weights if they are twisted. Raise the chime bar if the chimes are hitting the weights. Make sure the chimes work properly once everything is adjusted and that the weights are properly leveled.

• 3

Look at the lever on the chime dial, if there is a problem with the weights not falling in place. Make sure that the chime lever is centered, and that the chime bar is not in the "Up" position, prohibiting the weights from falling correctly.

• 4

Wind the Pearl Grandfather clock daily, making sure not to over-wind it. Set the minute hand on the hour you want the clock to chime, turning it counterclockwise. Wait for the clock to chime. Wind the big hand around once, resting it on the 12.

• 5

Fix the pendulum once the weights are adjusted. Make sure the pendulum is hanging correctly, with the lower pendulum bob facing the front. The shiny side of the pendulum bob should always be facing outward. Make sure the pendulum swings correctly. A faulty pendulum prevents the time train in a Pearl Grandfather clock from moving, interfering with its inner-gear mechanisms.

• 6

Look inside and examine the spring. Oil the spring at the pivot points, so that it runs correctly and with less effort. Replace the spring if necessary. Place a small amount of clock oil on the gears of the clock, where the parts rub in sections. Oil a Pearl Grandfather clock at least once every three years.

SETTING YOUR MOON DIAL

The moon dial is designed to show the shape of the moon as it appears in the sky, the number alongside it being the lunar date. The numbers on the dial are of the Lunar Calendar and NOT the calendar date. A lunar month has consistently twenty nine and a half days in every month and these are usually lettered in Arabic (English) numerals. The Full Moon always occurs on the 15th day of the Lunar Calendar. If it were a full moon today, the image of the moon on the dial would be centered below the 15 on the dial. There are two moons on the dial and it makes no difference which one is under the 15. Grandfather clock moon dials consist of a round disk displaying two pictures of the moon. A one half rotation of the disk occures every 29.5 days which is one lunar cycle.

If your Grandfather Clock has a moving moon dial feature, follow these instructions. To set moon dial, apply slight pressure with your fingers to the front of the moon dial. Rotate the moon dial Clockwise until the moon is directly below the number 15 on the dial. (See figure 5).

MOON DIAL

Traditional Moon Dial on a Grandfather Clock

If the moon dial will not rotate, wait 6 hours and try again. Never force the moon dial as it should move easily.
1) Using an almanac, lunar calendar or the chart below to determine the date of the last full moon.
2) Position the moon dial so the moon is under the 15 on the dial.
3) Count the number of days past the last full moon on a calendar.
4) Turn the moon dial Clockwise one click for each of the number of days past the last full moon.

The moon dial is now set and will indicate the proper moon phases as long as the Grandfather Clock operates continuously.

Example:
Let's pretend today is the 20th of any month.
Your almanac or lunar calendar says the full moon occurs on the 25 of this month.
(this means the full moon is 5 days away..right?)
Set your moon dial on your Grandfather Clock so the moon is under the 10 on the dial which is 5 days before the 15th day the the dial which is the full moon.
Done!

If the Grandfather Clock stops for more than 24 hours, the moon dial will also stop, and must be reset when the Grandfather Clock is started again.

Full Moon Calendar

Grandfather clocks vigilantly keep time if properly cared for. Their constant ticking can be soothing, creating a kind of heartbeat for the home. When it's time to reset your mechanical grandfather clock -- such as when daylight saving time starts and ends -- following a few simple steps will keep the time and the clock chimes in sync.

Instructions

Things You'll Need

• Carpenter's level

Suggest Edits

• 1

Set a carpenter's level on top of the clock to make sure the clock is still sitting level. Make adjustments as necessary to level the clock. Make sure the pendulum isn't moving before you begin setting the time.

• 2

Move the minute hand carefully in the direction you need to go to set the correct time. If you are setting the clock back an hour, move the minute hand counterclockwise. If you are setting the clock ahead an hour, move the minute hand clockwise. When moving the minute hand clockwise, stop at each quarter-hour to allow the chimes to ring or the clock to strike. Don't move the hands while the clock is striking or chiming.

• 3

Continue until you reach the hour mark. Let the chime to go through the complete cycle and count the hour strikes.

• 4

Continue Steps 2 and 3 until you have set the clock to the correct time.

• 5

Wind the clock with its key or weights, depending on the model. Start the pendulum. Don't worry if the clock's chimes are not in sync with the time right away -- it make take a few hours for the self-adjusting feature to make the correction.

• 6

Check the clock after a day or two to see if it is gaining or losing time. Make adjustments by turning a small screw nut under the pendulum -- turn left to slow the clock down; turn right to speed it up. On some models, one turn makes a 30-second change. Adjust the screw a tiny bit each time until the desired setting is achieved. Wait 24 hours after each adjustment to see if any more change is needed.

1.  

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
ALL YHAT YOU SUGGESTED I'VE AREADY DONE BEFORE I ASKED FOR YOUR ADVICE. THE CLOCK HAS BEEN RUNNING AND KEEPING CORRECT TIME MY ORIGINAL QUESTION WAS WHY IS IT SYILL CHIMING 3 EXTRA TIMES THRU EVERY HOUR 24/7?

YOUR ANSWER SOUNDED LIKE IT CAME OUTOFF MY REPAIR MANUAL. I'M NOT SETTING UP A NEW CLOCK THE QUESTION WAS ABOUT THE CHIMES RINGING 3EXTRA TIMES PER HOUR EA. HOUR 24 TIMES PER DAY. IF YOU CANT GIVE ME A PLAUSABLE REASON WHY THEN I AM NOT SATISFIED AND THANKS FOR YOUR TRY.

FRED

Well Fred, New or old the clock needs to reset itself you have to go through the steps so the chimes will go back to normal get back in synchronization with itself. These steps are straight from my notes other customers with the same problem followed them and cured there problem. Sometimes you have to go back to step one just like the day it was new. While you are at it a good cleaning and re oiling solves alot of problems to if you haven't serviced your clock lately.

Mike, Consultant