Clock Repair

Have Clock Problems? Ask a Clock Expert and Get Answers ASAP

Clock Repair

I recently purchased the daneker president clock (Westminster

Customer Question
chimes) from an antique dealer...
I recently purchased the daneker president clock (Westminster chimes) from an antique dealer and it won't chime. It did chime after it was delivered and set up but it won't chime now. I found that the weights were hung in reverse and corrected that however it still won't chime. It will make a clicking sound just before it is suppose to chime but is doesn't chime. Also there is suppose to be a switch inside the side door to silence the sound at night but it has never been touched since I have had it. In fact I don't even know what or where it is. Can you help me please? Thank you Joyce in Southern California
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Clock Repair
10/27/2011
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 6 years ago
Mike, Consultant
Hi! Joyce, My name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you. Let me do some research and I'll get back to you shortly.
Thank you for responding so quickly. I am waiting. Joyce

OK Joyce, First make sure the weight is pulled up for the chimes. Second go into the side door and make sure the retard bar isn't resting on the chime hammers if it is raise the retard bar.

What you do is check to see if the chime lever on the grandfather dial is properly centered over a chime and not in the off position. The lever should be located above the chime hammers.

Sorry I'm sure I don't know what you are talking about. Number 1 what do you mean "make sure the weight is pulled up for the chime" the weights work their way down and were pulled up at one time. secondly, what is a chime lever? and if I don't know what a chime lever is how do I know if it is centered over a chime and even what a chime hammer looks like for that matter. When I open the side door all I see are some brass works and a wooden bar about 6" long that has been secured with some yellow tape over a brass post and tilted at a slant downward. Is this a chime lever? I don't see any off or on position. Nothing has been touched since I received the clock other than reversing the weights and some minor time ajustment with the minute hand. I am new at this and need more grafic details about what these parts look like and if I am even looking in the right area. I have a "small" window on either side of the clock and the lever i saw was on the right side. I don't even know if that is what you are talking about.

Thanks for responding but I need more details my paper work is limited. The clock is over 41 years old. Thank you Joyce

The chime hammers are the brass hammers that make your westminster chime they move up & down if there is a bar holding them down so they don't move you need to lift the bar off the hammers. Also try removing the yellow tape. Have you called the antique dealer that set the clock up?

Sorry I examined the interior of the clock the best I could in the limited space that I have. I could not locate anything that looks like a "hammer". The wooden bar that I mentioned does not appear to be holding anything down. I could not see a purpose for it at all. It is taped to an elongated round brass bar (the brass bar appears to be about an inch and one quarter long, 1/4" in diameter attached to brass plates on either end). The wooden bar is very light weight seems to be just there with no purpose from my vantage point. As I have mentioned the chimes worked for a short time then stopped chimming. It is running and it keeps pretty accurate time. Other than switching out the left and right weights nothing has been changed since delivery. I live in Southern California and I bought the clock at an antique store about 4 hours up the coast from here. I have not talked to the antique dealer because he is not an expert but has a clock similar to mine and knows something about them. I will call him tomorrow if I can't figure this out between you and me. I felt if he set the weights up wrong he was limited in his knowledge and went this route first. I am afraid to remove something (as in the wooden bar) that may mean something that I can't see then not be able to replace it. As I mentioned before I'm new at this but am relatively capable of fixing something if I can understand the basic knowledge of how things are suppose to work.

I have not seen the interworkings of a chimming clock so words like, a hammer, and chimes move up and down (up and down?). I have to believe a clock hammer isn't exactly like a hammer I am use to so therefore I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Also I see nothing inside that anything should be striking anyway. I don't want to sound stupid here but a diagram would be nice if possible. I appreciate your patients with me. I don't know where you are located but I will be up up for hours yet. (6:00pm here). Thank you Joyce

Hi Joyce, Go to youtube.com type in westminster chimes videos and you can see what a hammer is the go up & down to make the chime. Thanks Mike
Hi Joyce, You might need to call a repair co. that spacializes on grandfather clocks if you tell me where you are located I'll provide you with a few companies. Thanks Mike

I believe your clock has a maple case Style # XXXXX with a w500 ( MAUTHE ) movement. If you decide to call a repair co. Thanks Mike

Thank you. I live in Riverside County, California. I talked with Jimmy's Clock Shop in Riverside yesterday. He was the one that asked me to check the weights, and said if they were put on wrong after the move that the clock would work for a while the stop. That is what I did but it didn't matter. That is why when I went on the internet and found you I thought it was something simple that I could fix quickly. I still think so. It was working in the antique shop, it was working at my home after it was set up then it stopped working. The weights and pendulum were removed in the transfer so I believe the move was made correctly. The clock has not been abused since. I thought it has to be something simple I'm not seeing. Could it be somehow out of balance? Is that a possibility? My leveler is too long to get an accurate reading. The clock is not flat on top. I will go on youtube and check that out but in the meantime if you have other repair shops that you are aware of I would appreciate the names of those. Orange County is next door but do not want to travel that far. I still will want to communicate with you more possibly tomorrow since it is so late where you are. Thanks again and if you think of other possibilities please let me know. I can't believe that this is so complicated. Joyce

Thank you. I live in Riverside County, California. I talked with Jimmy's Clock Shop in Riverside yesterday. He was the one that asked me to check the weights, and said if they were put on wrong after the move that the clock would work for a while the stop. That is what I did but it didn't matter. That is why when I went on the internet and found you I thought it was something simple that I could fix quickly. I still think so. It was working in the antique shop, it was working at my home after it was set up then it stopped working. The weights and pendulum were removed in the transfer so I believe the move was made correctly. The clock has not been abused since. I thought it has to be something simple I'm not seeing. Could it be somehow out of balance? Is that a possibility? My leveler is too long to get an accurate reading. The clock is not flat on top. I will go on youtube and check that out but in the meantime if you have other repair shops that you are aware of I would appreciate the names of those. Orange County is next door but do not want to travel that far. I still will want to communicate with you more possibly tomorrow since it is so late where you are. Thanks again and if you think of other possibilities please let me know. I can't believe that this is so complicated.

In response to the rest of your answer. My clock is called the "President". Made in "solid walnut" sometime prior to 1969. I believe the previous owner was the only owner that purchased it in 1970. The person that had the clock on display in "The Richman, Poorman" antique store knew the person that owned this clock and he purchased it in an estate sale. It is in extremely good condition and was very well maintained. I received along with the clock "The instruction sheet and technical data sheet for the Daneker President clock. The Million-Rutherfor Co. of Fallston, Maryland is the manufacturer of this clock. I also have two picture brochures of seven of the Daneker grandfather clocks manufactured in Maryland prior to 1969 plus 6 other types of clocks they made. The paperwork looks brand new. However, nowhere in the instructions is there any mention about troubleshooting if the chimes are not working. I might also mention that at the same time I also purchased another grandfather clock (no name) of lesser value transported at the same time, same men and it is working like a trooper. It is also weight driven but I have no way to view the inside and have not checked the weights to see if they are on properly but it keeps decent time and is also Westminster chimes and chimes on the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and hour as well. No problem. I forgot to mention I have only had these clocks in my home for seven days.

Good morning Joyce, Here are a few clock repair companies in your area.

SWISS CLOCK SHOP
3688 VAN BUREN BLVD
RIVERSIDE, CANNN-NN-NNNNbr/>909-688-9060

Stanford & Sons Clock Repairing
6062 Magnolia Ave
Riverside, CA 92506
(951)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Robbins Brothers
3775 Tyler St
Riverside, CA 92503
(951)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Young's Place
5714 Mission Blvd
Riverside, CA 92509
(951)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

I hope this gets your clock back running in top tick tock condition.

Mike, Consultant
Mike, Consultant