Clock Repair

Have Clock Problems? Ask a Clock Expert and Get Answers ASAP

Clock Repair

Authentic German small (wall-mounted) Grandfather clock. Chimes,clock,

Customer Question
(3) springs mechanical mechanisms -...
Authentic German small (wall-mounted) Grandfather clock. Chimes,clock, (3) springs mechanical mechanisms - are wound up too tight. Clock runs if, pendulum is activated. But, only runs for a short period of time. Chimes aren't working.

Clock purchased in the Federal Republic of Germany in the late 1970's. Gave to parents as a past Christmas gift. While, serving overseas in the U.S. ARMY. Parents can't find original owner's manual etc. Unable to locate clock repair shops in Minnesota.

Clock had repairs completed by Repair Shop in Duluth, Minnesota. Unfortunately,clock repair shop is no longer in business. Original owner had passed away, due to natural causes.

Clock was willed back to me recently. My current residence: ROSEAU,MN.56751

Need advice on obtaining repair/repair shop location information.

Thank you! For your time in this matter!

Sincerely,

Charles P. Olson

p.s. email:[email protected], tel/fax: (XXX) XXX-XXXX, cell/vm:(XXX) XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Clock Repair
Answered in 5 days by:
9/7/2011
Clock Repair Expert: Will, Consultant replied 6 years ago
Will
Will, Consultant
Hi! my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been asked by a moderator to try to assist you. You can generally relieve spring tension yourself but it is a tedious and time consuming task--do you wish instructions or do you prefer I find a horologist who can do it for you? You may have to ship it if I cannot find a local repair shop...how far are you willing to go to deliver it in person? Best, Will

Will; Please email the instructions to me. Also, please forward any HOROLOGIST LISTINGS that you have access to. I will ship the clock and/or travel within a (350) mile radius. I am a retired criminal investigator as well as a SERVICE-CONNECTED VET (MULIPLE SCLEROSIS (80%).

I have taken numerous cell phone pix of the clock mechanism. Thus, I can send the cell

phone pix to you via; your email address. My email address: [email protected],

ADDRESS: XXX-XXX XXXXXXX XX ROSEAU,MN. 56751.(*** RESIDENTIAL LOCATION IS LOCATED ALONG THE MINN/CANADIAN BORDER ADJ., LAKE OF THE WOODS), H/P-FAX#: (XXX) XXX-XXXX,CELL/VM:(XXX) XXX-XXXX.

Thank you! For your assistance in this matter!

Sincerely,

Charles P. Olson

p.s. I hope! That clock repair isn't becoming an expiring part of our AMERICAN HISTORY. Modern Technology is important but, some things from the OLD HISTORY needs to be preserved.

Unfortunately it is a dying craft....I am the only one within 200 miles that will even touch an antique clock, and there used to be about 11 of us. We are not allowed direct email contact, so I will try to walk you through it and give you a backup as well...

The easiest way to safely unwind the clock is to set it on a very level surface and manually engage the pendulum...it normally should run 3-5 minutes before it stops, and you then again give it a little nudge....do NOT attempt to loosen the spring in any other fashion or you could have a mess of spring in your face plus you risk damaging the gears and pivot points...there is a little vise that can be used, but the tool would cost you as much as a repair in most cases...

90% of the time, springs that get overwound will go back to true once the pressure is relieved...when winding, always stop short by a full turn of a full wind sequence. When you begin to feel resistance, STOP. Better less than more.

Now, in your region I have located these folks who are confirmed clocksmiths. I suggest you ask for a quote FIRST, as rates can differ widely....I charge $100 for a simple unwind and cleaning (which is needed when you disassemble any clock)--but I have seen people charge up to $500 for the same thing. If you get quoted more than $150 for an unwind and reset, I would call the next guy....parts are inexpensive on these models (a mainspring is under $30)....so even if it is overstressed, the repair should be under $200 generally.

Here are the places listed in my professional guide: (hope one of them is near you)

=

Edina Clock Repair

5720 Lois Lane
Edina, MN 55439
952-983-0681

=

Carlson Clock Repair

Downtown Ctr
Willmar, MN 56201

(NNN) NNN-NNNN

+

Cates Clock Repair

XXXXXSe
Prior Lake, MN NNN-NN-NNNN
952-447-2655

+

Jim's Clock Repair

XXXXXN
Oakdale, MN NNN-NN-NNNN
651-779-8145

=

Brent Glommen Clock Repair

XXXXXC2 W
Roseville, MN NNN-NN-NNNN
651-635-9902

-

Northtown Clock Repair

915 County Highway 10 Ste 2
Spring Lake Park, MN NNN-NN-NNNN
763-786-3938

=

Kuempel Clock Repair

815 Mainstreet
Hopkins, MN NNN-NN-NNNN
952-920-1300

Will
Will, Consultant
Will
Will
Will, Consultant