Clock Repair

Have Clock Problems? Ask a Clock Expert and Get Answers ASAP

Clock Repair

My grandfather clock center weight drop all the way down,I

Customer Question
rewound it now it won't...
My grandfather clock center weight drop all the way down,I rewound it now it won't run for more than 10 mins.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Clock Repair
5/7/2011
Clock Repair Expert: Chris C, Professional Clock Repairer (5yrs+) replied 6 years ago
Chris C
Chris C, Professional Clock Repairer (5yrs+)

Hi there

I'll try to help you but I need a little more information.

Is the clock chain or line/cable driven?

When you say the centre weight dropped all the way, did it fall ('crash!') or just get to the bottom of its line by running the clock too long before it was wound?

When the weight bottomed out did the cable go slack or did you remove the weight before winding it again?

Thanks, Chris.

The clock is line driven.Here's what happened.The clock belonged to my sister,it was working fine until she got sick and had to go to the hospital Her stay in the hospital was 3 wks.when she returned the weights had drop all the way down she rewound the clock and it hadn't worked since.She recently passed away and I bought the clock from the family,Then I had moved to my house.I tried to start but it wouldn't run more than a few mins.

Thanks for that.

So it hasn't run in its current position. Then there are a couple of things we need to check before looking for more major problems.

1. Are you sure the weights are on the correct way round. They are normally marked underneath (L/C/R).If not, then the heaviest should be on the right hand cable.

2. Is the clock 'in beat': does it tick..tock..tick..tock evenly like a metronome?

3. Is teh pendulum correctly set up at the top and at the point of linkage to the crutch (see example picture below)

4. Does it stop at a particular point in the hour, for example just before a quarter, or is it random?

4. Are the cables wound evenly on their drums, not overlapping or tangled?

Thanks, Chris.

everything looks the way it's suppose to.

Hi

Can you confirm that all the things I asked are correct. Also please answer the question:

Thanks, Chris.

It does not stop at a particular time,It runs for about 10 min.and stops
Chris C
Chris C