Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I would like to find a screen or filter to filter the water…

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to find a screen or filter to filter the water coming from the engine back to the radiator. Mice once upon a time put fiberglass insulation and acorns and beechnuts where the water travels through the engine. I have just had my radiator repaired and cleaned and I don't want any of that in my "new" radiator. I have heard from a couple of people that they have seen such an item. DO YOU KNOW WHERE I MIGHT FIND ONE OR FIND DIRECTIONS OF HOW TO MAKE ONE?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

It is a 1929 Model A Ford Roadster with a speedometer that broke at about 50,000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Roadster?

1929

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Roadster yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm restoring it myself. I have flushed the engine, but may have missed something and don't want any new material plugging my newly repaired radiator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not today

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Classic Car
5/31/2018
Classic Car Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

I think this is what you are looking for. I've only seen them in use a couple of times but it does exactly what you described:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/radiator-coolant-filter-7993.html

You would just have to use a skinny hose- maybe an adapter too.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Good morning,

I am looking for a screen to fit a Model A Ford. You have not been able to find one for me. Thanks anyway, Peter

So something to insert inside the hose rather than install in-line?

I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like that.

Bye bye.

Well I was hoping to help, but it looks like you may end up having to fabricate something.