Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

Doing a complete rebuild for my 76 vette with a stock L48…

Customer Question
Doing a complete rebuild...

Doing a complete rebuild for my 76 vette with a stock L48 engine. Heads and crank are out. Is there a solvent I can use to remove varnish from the bottom of the lifters so that they will come out?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Auto with 100k mi. Want to make it as near stock as possible but with 300 HP

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Penetrating oil, brake cleaner, and a quick try with lacquer thinner

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has cupped pistons and closed combustion chambers. It was 8.5:1

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Classic Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/2/2018
Classic Car Mechanic: K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic replied 3 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic

Hello, what I find works best for this is a mixture of 1:1 acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Let it soak in overnight then work the lifters around with a lifter puller like THIS it may take a few times but it will dissolve the varnish and free them up.

My goal is to provide 5 star service. Rating/accepting does not cost extra and ensures I'm credited for my time and knowledge. It also does not close your question if you have a follow up concerning this. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.