Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

Won’t start. Replaced a bad starter w new solenoid. Cranks…

Customer Question
Won’t start. Replaced a...

Won’t start. Replaced a bad starter w new solenoid. Cranks over strong but won’t even begin to fire up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Gauge reads 1/2 tank. Haven’t checked plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

1972 VW bug

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hooked test light to beg plug of coil, grounded probe. Turned over engine by hand. Test light lights up

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Neg that is...

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Classic Car
Answered in 1 day by:
4/2/2018
Classic Car Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 4 months ago
eric remington

s​tarter drive needs to be checked...just get a new starter

Classic Car Mechanic: Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic

This has nothing to do with the starter drive if the starter is cranking over strong.

See if a few small shots of starting fluid into the intake allows the engine to start for a few seconds, if so, check the fuel pump but if the engine didn't start with the starting fluid, check for a s spark.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.
Just because you became a member doesn't mean you don't still have to rate the expert when done so he gets credit for his time.