Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

My guages in instrument panel are going to the highest

My guages in instrument...

My guages in instrument panel are going to the highest stages after start up any suggestions

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes new batteries

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

99 RollsRoyce

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

New ignition switch had trouble with recently

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No just want to get guages working properly

3/27/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

It's not uncommon for a cluster to fail. In my shop, we test the cluster with a scan tool in bidirectional mode to see if it replies to commands. These clusters are actually computers too, they are called "gateway" computers due to their communications with all other on-board computers.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Well I do have a scan took a snap on Solus if that’s any help

That's one of them, you just need to do the bidirectional tests with it now.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep this link in case you need any more help.

I don't get credit for helping you unless you rate me:)

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

the scan tool does not communicate with cluster.....

Then the cluster is bad or there is a twisted pair BUS line communication issue, one of the 2.

Thanks again, and please remember my rating for additional assistance.

Are there any more questions at this time?

do you think cluster can be repaired?

Absolutely, most shops can even give you the name of companies that do it or you can even find one on your own.

Thanks again, Ron

ok Thanks
removed back from cluster and found traces of moisture all over back of circuit board....

You're welcome.

That will do it for sure.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now for my help and my time.

I don't get credit for helping you until you rate men and any I'm still here after the rating for any followup questions.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
we are done

Thanks, Ron