Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I am buying a 1962 e type. The bonnet does not line up. Is…

I am buying a...

I am buying a 1962 e type.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

The bonnet does not line up. Is it possible to adjust it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, its still at the dealer. I haven't picked it up yet.

3/27/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

yes the bonnet can be adjusted it is however rather time consuming as you have to add or remove shims behind the front hinges

and one thing that might be causing a problem is that the captive nuts or plates that the bolts thread into are often rusted in place or paint is holding the hinge tight.

What may be easier is to adjust the bonnet in the closed position but with the wheels off so that you can get at the shims and hinges.

That way you can also see any changes in the bonnet to bulkhead gap. You need to make sure the bolts are really slackened off whilst shuffling the bonnet about as its heavy enough to sit in one position if there's any bolt tension at all

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer