Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

Looking at tires for a 1963 chevy belair has 205 75 14 on it…

Looking at tires for a...
Looking at tires for a 1963 chevy belair has 205 75 14 on it stock, i see tractor supply has trailer tires for under $40 and they are hi-run, here is the link https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hi-run-lz1004-replacement-tire-st205-75d14-6pr. why could I not use these on my car? any reasoning/advice? We dont drive it much, 55 mph tops
3/17/2018
George H.
George H., Technician

Hello I will help,

You cannot legally run trailer tires on a passenger vehicle. It is not safe.

For your baby (it is your baby right?) get some radial Coker. They will cost much more but they will be perfect for the type of use you put this car to. Lots of sitting and low speed crusing. They will give you modern handling along with stellar wear (less dry rot) while maintaining the classic look of the originals.

Click here for link

Your safety is not worth trying to save a buck so spend ion the tires and brakes along with the steering.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thanks

yep we just got it handed down to us its a peach. I was going to get one of these for the spare but when I saw how cheap they are I thought about getting 4 of the R radial versions. Would I be able to mount one of the d or r versions on the spare with no issues?

Yes they will mount up but they do not sit on the rim the same as passenger. A trailer generally follows the tow vehicle so they don't need to perform the same in turns at speed. They can come off the rim if used in passenger service.

If you told me you were never going to drive the car and it would sit or ride a teailer to shows it would not matter what you put on it. Black and round would do but if you are going to drive it at all you want radial passenger rated tires. They are available for under $100 each if you look around at each manufacturer's website. I think Discount tire and Direct Tire still carry the 14.

If you don't care about being stock find a set of 15 or 16" steel wheels that fit, that allows you to fit tires that are much easier to find and therefore less expensive.

George H.
George H., Technician
appreciate the info George.

I am always glad to help, please let me know if you have further questions