Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I have a 1969 280 SEL with fuel going to injection pump and…

Customer Question
I have a 1969...

I have a 1969 280 SEL with fuel going to injection pump and no fuel going to the injectors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Vehicle does not start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '69 Mercedes?

280 SEL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. i have not replaced any parts. trying to diagnosis the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that, there is fuel at the injection pump supply and return without any fuel going to the injectors.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Classic Car
3/17/2018
Classic Car Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

When was the last time the engine ran?

The vehicle sat for a bit. I then bleeded the fuel from the lines to the injectors cranked it until fuel came out. Vehicle started up after that. Let the vehicle run for 30min shut it down go to start it up 2 days later no start again, attempted doing the same thing again no fuel out of the injector lines.
Vehicle sat for a unknown amount of time atleast a month though

Is the cold start magnet, on the back of the injector pump, getting power when you crank the engine?

There is no wires connected to either of the solenoids

There is a large solenoid that sticks straight the back of the pump.It has to be energized to put the fuel rack in max fuel for starting. Are the wires missing or were they taped off? Do you know the history of the car or did you just get it?

Is this a 2 port or 6 port injector pump?

I found the wire that goes to the starting solenoid. No wire for the shut of solenoid. The history on this car is unknown. I don't know if it's a 2 port or 6port. There is individual fuel line to each injector.

Then it is a 6 port or 6 element pump. I have some old spec sheets at work for these cars, so I can contact you later with some trouble shooting tips. I will be home at 5pm central.

The solenoids do not cut off fuel to the internal injection rack. Is there good fuel flow when the ignition is on? Take the feed pipe off to make sure you have good volume. There is a screen in the bottom of the fuel tank that can partially plug up. There is a large hex plug in the bottom of the tank that has the screen built into it.You can also partially clamp off the return hose. This will raise the fuel pressure and force fuel into the fuel rack chamber in the pump.

There is good volume to the injection pump and the same amount out of the pump without any flow to the injectors. I'm thinking I need to send it out to get rebuilt because they don't sell new pumps anymore
I will try clamping the return hose on Monday to see if it does anything

Try clamping the hose first. If you go the rebuild route, call Gus at Pacific Fuel Injection in San Francisco. I have used him in the past on Mercedes and Porsche pumps. He is very helpfull and will give you a lot of insite in this type of fuel injection The number is *****

I clamped the return off and it didn't do anything.

Since the car ran with the solenoids disconected, I think that you have a problem in the injector pump. The fuel control rack is probably binding or the injector elements are sticking in there bores and not alowing fuel into the injection ports.