Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

1994 torota 3.0/5-speed manual/4x4. I just replaced stock…

Customer Question
1994 torota 3.0/5-speed manual/4x4. I...
1994 torota 3.0/5-speed manual/4x4. I just replaced stock 80A alt woth a 130A unit. Curious as to what wiring should be upgraded/replaced. Already burnt FL 2.0 berween bat and R/B 2. Also burned the two wire wires that originate from alt to stock 80A fuse
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Classic Car
3/13/2018
Classic Car Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

nominally the main / thick power wire from the alternator to the battery is the one that needs uprating

you shouldn't have to touch the other alternator wires as they are used for the switching

and the other wires from the fuse that run into the fusebox will also need uprating especially if they're a long run

see here for a wire gauge guide for current on 12V

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

In the original configuration the main charging cable (8 gauge) and 2 smaller wire cables from the alternator were attached to a 80Amp cartridge fuse in the main fuse box under the hood. The other side of that 80Amp fuse then had 2 red/blue wires (starter relay and ignition I believe) and another 8 gauge cable that ran to the battery + through a 6 inch fusible link wire.
Should I get the OEM charging path and just increase the size of all wires that are supplied power from the alt and increase 80A fuse to say 120A or larger?
Or should I just cap of the OEM charging wire, keeping the remaining wires as is and then run a thicker cable directly from alt to bat+ through a 175A fuse?
I’m just trying to protect all the OEM wiring/circuits

Hello

running a large backup wire direct to the battery should do the trick as the other charging circuits will only draw what they require

by having another route to the battery this should then give a 'buffer' between the car wiring and the new alternator

you may need a larger battery though to avoid it overheating.

Classic Car Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt