Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I. I have a 1955 TBird and want to charge the 6/12 battery…

Customer Question
I have a 1955...

I have a 1955 TBird and want to charge the 6/12 battery and am afraid of doing it wrong, how do I charge it correctly?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

It is fine just ran down over time

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Car is restored but has not been driven in a while and the battery is dead

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Classic Car
3/10/2018
Classic Car Mechanic: Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, the t birds were all 12 volt. you can tell by the battery. if it has 6 cells it is 12 volt. 6 volt systems only had 3 cells

Roy

The 6/12 battery has a switch in the battery I am told and I am afraid I will ruin the battery if I charge it incorrectly, so I need to know how to charge it without knocking out the switch

ok, put it in 12 positions and do a slow charge.

can you post a picture of the battery??

Roy

no i can't take a pic now as it is in the garage
are you saying I should charge it as a 12volt battery instead of a 6 volt battery
this is a 6volt system in the 55 Tbird