Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I did a 6 to 12V conversion on my 1949 ford. I put a new 22…

I did a 6 to...
I did a 6 to 12V conversion on my 1949 ford. I put a new 22 circuit box and harness in the process, as well as turn signals. Everything ignition wise works well. My headlights and brights work, stop switch lights, and turn signals work. My problem is the tail lights do not work, and the parking and dash lights dont work. I made a ground to the chassis in the back, and made sure my grounds were good in the front. What could my problem be
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

sure

ok

did you change all the bulbs to 12 volt bulbs?? 6 volt bulbs will be over whelmed with the higher voltage and will fail.

Did a lot of VW back in the day and had to change all the bulbs out.

Roy

Sir. I changed every bulb, and even the tail light and parking light sockets. I had to solder ground wire on to those to get them to work. They did for a couple days, but then quit.

ok, good, did you check for power to the sockets??

check your headlight switch for output to the parking lights.

make sure you have power into the switch. I believe there are 2 powers to the switch, one for headlights and one for park lights

Roy

Ok, when i get home i will double check that. i know this is just speculation, but if thats not the culprit, what are some other things i could look at. Like i said, everything else works. the only thing i deviated with was i cut out the ground wire for the dome courtesy light because this ford does not have the switches in the door. i cut it clear back by the harness because it came with a GM style plug/ switch

check the harness closely at the connections especially at the switch

Roy

ok.. will do

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic

thank you