Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I know this is a shot. Any one out there familiar with this…

I know this is a...
I know this is a long shot. Any one out there familiar with this car? I'm tasked with repairing electrical issues with a 1971 AMC Javlin. First, the turn signals don't work. On the dash, the indicators will light up left or right but no response from the rear tail lights. Front turn signals aftermarket. Replaced the turn signal switch and the flasher, no change. Next to no room under the dash to chase wires.
3/7/2018
Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

The flasher has to heat up from current before it will flash, so if both rear turn signal bulbs have no voltage the current will not be enough to heat up the flasher. So finding out why both rear turn signal bulbs have no voltage is probably all you have to do. Let me see if I can find a wiring diagram for that.

Do you have a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light?

Sounds good Mike. Yes, I have both. The parking lights work in the back, 1157 double fillament bulbs. The brake light only works on the right side. I can run a new wire off the brake light switch to power the left side.

Here is the wiring diagram,

Here it is, I see the stop lights share the very same wires and bulbs, so do the stop lamps work?.

Ok I see 1 works.

I believe you should begin testing the orange (left) wire for voltage and the white (right) wire for voltage at the turn signal switch connector when the key is on run and left (orange) and right (white) turn signal is switched to that respective side.

First test right at each socket for the turn signals.

make sure the bulbs on the rear left are the correct type and not burnt out on the filament.

I have power through the turn signal switch harness, not sure where the wires go from there. I'll print out the diagrams you provided and report back to you shortly. Thanks!

I would think they run under the floor carpet, it would not make sense to run them under the car because of the risk of the weather, etc. Then they probably come out in the trunk, so find the harness in the trunk and test them wires again.

O.k., no power to orange or white wires key on. If I put 12 volts to each wire and cycle the turn signal switch the tail lights on the right side come on but do not blink. Left side still dead like the brake light. I'm guessing the left side orange wire is open somewhere.

no power to orange or white wires key on. You have to turn the turn signal switch to the right and left, too when testing.

Blown fuse, I now have power to white and orange wires respectively. Right real lights come on but still don't blink. Front turn signals were some strange aftermarket. I disconnected them. Do I need front turn signals wired in to complete the circuit?

You need the fronts hooked up to heat up that flasher so it flashes.

I turn the switch back and forth when testing.

Strange, I would think the fronts would be on the same fuse.

For the purpose of testing, power directly to the rear left tail lights at the rear tail light assembly they come on like they should. If I was to run a new orange wire to the left rear, where would I tap in? At the turn signal harness? Would that also provide power for the left rear brake light? There has to be a broken orange wire going to the left rear.
Wow with aftermarket LED front turn signal lights, maybe not enough resistance to build the needed heat?

The same orange wire for the left rear works both the stop lamps and the turn signal. It has nothing to do with the taillights though, that is the other filament.

You will have to find out where that orange wire has voltage in order to tell where to tie into it.

If the wattage is the same it should be enough.

Car owner just brought me the O.E. 3 wire front turn signal assemblies. I'll wire them in and see if that gets the turn signals flashing.

ok

any news?

Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic
Ran new wire to left rear, replaced the second flasher that was buried down in a black hole. All is good now. Thanks for all the help Mike!

Great!