Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

What are the steps in removing a heater core on a 1970

Customer Question
Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme without AC?...
What are the steps in removing a heater core on a 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme without AC?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Classic Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2018
Classic Car Mechanic: AutoDoc, Technician replied 7 months ago
AutoDoc
AutoDoc, Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can assist you1. Drain coolant and disconnect hoses from heater core2. There are 5 studs coming through the firewall securing the inside box - the securing nuts are on the engine side3. There are 2 options for getting to the lower outboard nut - gm put a dimple in the inner fender (passenger side) you can drill a 3/4" hole at the dimple to get to the nut, but most do not like to drill the fender, so the second option is to remove the whole inner fender4. Remove all wiring, control cables, vacuum lines and ducts from inside box5. Remove boxI personally take out the glove box to make it a little easier to see insideThank you
Is the inner fender easy to take out?
Since it is a structural part of the vehicle, not just a filler like newer cars, so it is bolted in pretty good - nothing crazy, just a lot of hardware holding it in - you should remove the tire to make it easier
Unfortunately I don't have a decent jack to lift the car to take the wheel off and I also don't feel to comfortable ripping my engine compartment apart.
Then you have to access the stud through the inner fender dimple and then plug it with a plastic plug when finished
Where on the inner fender is this dimple?
It is to the left of the inner fender toward the door on the passenger side - about 8 to 10 inches from bottom right in the middle - it sticks out not in - the stud is behind it - drill a 3/4" hole to get a socket in there, then plug it when done