Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I replaced the entire wiring harness on my 1970 Nova 350 and…

I replaced the entire...

I replaced the entire wiring harness on my 1970 Nova 350 and it ran great but it recently just died no power at all. I replaced the horn relay and have headlights but when I turn the ignition switch it blows the in line fuse to the horn relay. I have been reviewing all the wiring and can't see to find the short.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

The car was fine at first but then one day the entire electrical system shut off completely dead. The hot wire to the horn relay fried and I replaced the relay and ran an in line fuse for protection. You can turn on the headlights with no problem but as soon as you turn the key the fuse pops and the entire system is dead again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Nova yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing myself with limited electrical knowledge. I went under the dash to make sure there was no fried wires and traced all wires back from the new wiring harness to the bloack and under dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am completely stumped

1/16/2018
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Classic Car Mechanic

sorry for the delay............
What AMP is the Fuse?
Have you tested Voltage on the main wire that you put the In Line Fuse on?
Is the Starter shorted?

10amp
How do you test the main wire?
The starter is not shorted but when you turn the key on it blows the in line 10amp fuse connected to the horn relay which knocks out the entire system
The car ran great at first and I was driving with not a problem then one day I drove 2 blocks and the engine just stopped dead and smoke came out from under the hood and I found the hot wire to the horn relay burnt. So I replaced the horn relay and put in the fuse system to protect.

What size wire is this, that the Fuse is in?

16

IF this is the main feed wire that comes from the Starter Solenoid, to the Coil +, to the Wipers, then to the Horn Relay, a "10 amp" Fuse is not large enough as that wire feeds to many components
I believe the original wire should be minimum 14 gauge & will be at least "20 amps"

The reason I asked about the starter, is the Starter Solenoid draws high AMPs when cranking and usually requires at least 20 amp fuse also

Ok I understand and will change the fuse to 20amp
The problem is as soon as the key is turned to "accessory" or "on" the fuse pops so the starter is not even given a change to crank
sorry should have read a chance to crank
The starter and the engine harness wiring is all new
When the engine first stopped on me a little bit of smoke came out from under the middle area of the dash very minor amount of smoke. And as I turned the key to start the car that is when a lot of smoke came out from under the hood at the horn relay area and that is when I noticed the wire connected to the horn relay was burnt.

THANK YOU for the added info.......
You need to first check the Ignition Switch connections
Then test each wire on the Ignition Switch for Voltage + in each position (Accessory, ON & Start)
Then the + Coil wire with Key ON...engine OFF
check Voltage + on the Horn Relay
IF you need further, let me know

Ok I think maybe I need to have the car towed to an electrical shop for this as I am not sure how to accomplish the process.

I understand, as Electrical can be tedious & you need to be sure the proper AMP wire & Fuse is used to prevent shorts, overheating of wires & fire
Just be sure you have a person that knows this years wiring, as that would cut the time considerably..........
Smoke is not a good thing & should be checked carefully for any burned componentsLet me know if you need further

.

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today.
Please reply and let me know why.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
.........................................................................

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Classic Car Mechanic
Thank you for your time it was greatly appreciated!!

THANK YOU
Thanks for using J/A