Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

Wiggins, I'm wroking on replacing the anti rattle bushing…

Customer Question
Hi Wiggins,I'm wroking on replacing...
Hi Wiggins,I'm wroking on replacing the anti rattle bushing and/or the steering column bushing and I'm trying to get the part of the column off that has the turn signal and wiper and ignition switches in it and it seems like there is something holding it from coming off, is there a video on this? Thanks.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Classic Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/16/2018
Classic Car Mechanic: K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic replied 7 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic

Hello, I've got a few that should help. It'll be just a few minutes while I post the links

Link HERE, also a good tutorial HERE on removing the switches.

Hi Wiggins, thanks for the info. the video on the Karmannghia helps but it is different than our beetle.

Once you have all the screws removed the switch assembly should pull out. if everything is loose you may want to spray some penetrant or white lithium grease on it then gently pry it out.

Once the switch is out you can often loosen up the other end and use it to push the bearing out some.

If you would like to post some pictures I may be able to help further.

Please see attached. A picture of a plastic bushing or spacer that sits on the of the steering column bushing that has to be pounded off. Also when I pulled the two hoses off of the wiper switch I could not see there very well, I thought I pulled the hoses of but what happened the rubber is old and brittle and broke off and it was those two little pieces of rubber hose that wouldn't let the turn signal switch and the wiper switch come out.

The attachment did not show up, please try again.

Sorry I forgot

Thanks, ***** ***** looks very different from what i 'm seeing listed for this model which is HERE. To get the old one out you may have to do the trick of hitting the bottom of the steering shaft with a rubber mallet to get it to pop loose then break it with a chisel or dremel. You can drive the new one on with a socket that fits the outside diameter.

Hi Wiggins,
I started a new question and I clicked on "Request You again" but some other person answered, can you see the new question, it starts with: "OK done steering wheel back on. Thanks...." Thanks

I just saw it and replied. I apologize for any delays we may experience tonight/tomorrow. I'm up in NC for some training and it looks like the ice and snow has followed me once again. I'm losing internet here and there but trying to stay connected with my phone. Delays should be brief.