Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I want to put a 500 HP engine in. Currently have an Inline 6…

I want to put...

I want to put a 500 HP engine in. Currently have an Inline 6 engine in it. Which engine do you recommend?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

1000 no on the engine. Automatic trans

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

1939 Chrysler DeSoto S6

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your S6?

1939

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S6 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing at the moment .looking for professional advice

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What is the best engine to put with 500hp

1/13/2018
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Classic Car Mechanic

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A 500 HP motor into a 39 DeSoto? Is this correct?

Ok. Has this car been modified in any other way?

An inline 6 engine was put in
Text

Ok. There are a wide variety of engines you can choose from. Before we discuss what you can afford to pay for a 500 HP engine, has anything been done to the brakes> The stock brakes on a 39 DeSoto will have a very hard time stopping a 500 HP engine.

That will be put in before the recommended engine
Will an LS3 fit
Disc Brakes will assembled and put in
Hello?

If this was my car, I would avoid an LS3. I would recommend you contact ARRINGTON ENGINES at(###) ###-#### These people have some awesome engines to peruse and choose from. Their built 360 will fit nicely and produce 500 HP.

What's the reason for not using the LS3

I am Mopar tried and true. Built hundreds of them. An LS3, just because it has X amount of HP, in a DeSoto would be against my Mopar roots. I am a purist. You want Chrysler in this ride. Keep it true. A 500 HP 39 DeSoto would be incredible. However. not so incredible because it has a Chevy engine in it..........

I was thinking the same thing. Keeping it pure and true. Mopar all the way. Thanks

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

Classic Car Service