Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I have a 1970 challenger 440 six pack with a 4 speed.I am…

I have a 1970 challenger...
I have a 1970 challenger 440 six pack with a 4 speed.I am not getting starter wire power to the starter relay on the fender well. I can start the car if the key is on and the clutch is pushed in by running a jumper wire from the positive battery post to the spade connector on the starter relay (yellow wire) located on the fender well. which tells me that the clutch pedal engagement unit that is wired to the other spade connector (green wire) on the relay is providing proper ground as this test does not work if i do not have the clutch pushed in. I just cant get cranking power from the ignition switch when it is in the start position to the starter relay no matter what i have tried. as in trans in reverse or neutral. ANY ideas what to check next ?I have a 1970 challenger 440 six pack with a 4 speed.I am not getting starter wire power to the starter relay on the fender well. I can start the car if the key is on and the clutch is pushed in by running a jumper wire from the positive battery post to the spade connector on the starter relay (yellow wire) located on the fender well. which tells me that the clutch pedal engagement unit that is wired to the other spade connector (green wire) on the relay is providing proper ground as this test does not work if i do not have the clutch pushed in. I just cant get cranking power from the ignition switch when it is in the start position to the starter relay no matter what i have tried. as in trans in reverse or neutral. ANY ideas what to check next ?I have a 1970 challenger 440 six pack with a 4 speed.I am not getting starter wire power to the starter relay on the fender well. I can start the car if the key is on and the clutch is pushed in by running a jumper wire from the positive battery post to the spade connector on the starter relay (yellow wire) located on the fender well. which tells me that the clutch pedal engagement unit that is wired to the other spade connector (green wire) on the relay is providing proper ground as this test does not work if i do not have the clutch pushed in. I just cant get cranking power from the ignition switch when it is in the start position to the starter relay no matter what i have tried. as in trans in reverse or neutral. ANY ideas what to check next ?
1/12/2018
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Technician

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

There is a gang connector under the dash from the ignition switch and column wiring that the contacts get corroded and causes a voltage drop and then not enough voltage comes out to the starter to start.

Trying to get a pic !!

I already looked at that and tried to unplug and clean them. that didnt help

getting diagram give me a bit

you will need a voltmeter

i unplugged and cleaned the terminals. still did not help
thanks for the help. I had cleaned the contacts on the fire wall but not the ones under the dash.problem solved

please one more thing!!

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Technician