Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

My A-H will not start! They are fine. The car was running…

Customer Question
My A-H will not...

My A-H will not start!

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They are fine. The car was running fine then I was out to dinner and it simply cranks I’ve without catching

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

1962 MK2

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked the battery, the cut-off switch, the spark, fuel delivery. All seem to be good! I’m completely baffled

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, but how does this process work?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Classic Car
1/12/2018
Classic Car Mechanic: Marty, Technician replied 4 months ago
Marty
Marty, Technician
Hi, my name is***** you still need help with this?
OK, can I reply back to you in the morning? It’s 10 PM here and I was just getting ready to turn in for the night.
In the meantime I would like you to remove and inspect the spark plugs to see if they are fuel fouled. I would also like you to clean the points and check the point gap to be sure that the points are going out to approximately .016”.
No problem, it’s the same time here. Thanks
I checked the plugs and tbh they were a little carbonized (must be running too rich). So I cleaned them up and checked the gaps. I didn’t do the points yet, will try to do that tomorrow, tho may not be until later on

Let me know how you make out. A bad ignition rotor can cause problems with starting. I'd also try a little starting spray to see if it will try to run on the spray. If it does then we know we have a fuel problem.

I was busy at work, so did not yet check the points. However, if I am getting a spark, doesn't it seem unlikley that it would be a points issue? Can I squirt starter spray directly in the banjo air filters, or do i have to take them off. Doing that is a bear of a job given the position of the nuts. I'm beginning to think this is a fuel issue since I don't smell any fuel vapor at all even when I pump the accelerator. But that I don't understand since I have fuel at the carbs, or at least in the fuel chambers). Continue to be baffled....

You can have a helper crank the motor while you spray a little ether directly into the air cleaner intake. If you spray while cranking it will be drawn in through the air filters.

Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician