Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

My A-H will not start! They are fine. The car was running…

Customer Question
My A-H will not...

My A-H will not start!

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They are fine. The car was running fine then I was out to dinner and it simply cranks I’ve without catching

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

1962 MK2

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked the battery, the cut-off switch, the spark, fuel delivery. All seem to be good! I’m completely baffled

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, but how does this process work?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Classic Car
1/12/2018
Classic Car Mechanic: Marty, Technician replied 1 month ago
Marty
Marty, Technician
Hi, my name is***** you still need help with this?
OK, can I reply back to you in the morning? It’s 10 PM here and I was just getting ready to turn in for the night.
In the meantime I would like you to remove and inspect the spark plugs to see if they are fuel fouled. I would also like you to clean the points and check the point gap to be sure that the points are going out to approximately .016”.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No problem, it’s the same time here. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked the plugs and tbh they were a little carbonized (must be running too rich). So I cleaned them up and checked the gaps. I didn’t do the points yet, will try to do that tomorrow, tho may not be until later on

Let me know how you make out. A bad ignition rotor can cause problems with starting. I'd also try a little starting spray to see if it will try to run on the spray. If it does then we know we have a fuel problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was busy at work, so did not yet check the points. However, if I am getting a spark, doesn't it seem unlikley that it would be a points issue? Can I squirt starter spray directly in the banjo air filters, or do i have to take them off. Doing that is a bear of a job given the position of the nuts. I'm beginning to think this is a fuel issue since I don't smell any fuel vapor at all even when I pump the accelerator. But that I don't understand since I have fuel at the carbs, or at least in the fuel chambers). Continue to be baffled....

You can have a helper crank the motor while you spray a little ether directly into the air cleaner intake. If you spray while cranking it will be drawn in through the air filters.

Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician