Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I just got to your site I'm a novice with cars basically I…

Customer Question
Larry I just got...

Larry I just got to your site I'm a novice with cars basically I have a 1947 Deluxe

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1947 deluxe flat head 8

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ford?

1947

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just bought it had new tires ,waterpumps ,tune ups now I want to change the oil ,but not sure about changing the filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever changed a tire on this vehicle?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Classic Car
1/10/2018
Classic Car Mechanic: K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic replied 7 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic

Hello, are you concerned that it may be too soon to change it or have questions on how to actually change it etc? The more information you can provide me the better I can assist you.

Do not know where to start ,

No problem, Give me just a few minutes and I'll type up a guide for you.

Just letting you know I am still working on your answer. I appreciate your patience.

Thanks so much for your patience.

1. Begin by starting the vehicle and letting it warm up for 10-15 minutes as you would a modern car. This gets the oil flowing and it will drain more.

2. Shut off the engine and wait a few minute for oil to drain back down. Remove the oil plug on oil pan and allow to drain.

3. Once drained reinstall plug.

4. Remove top of oil filter cartridge housing by loosening the nut/bolt in the center.

5. Remove lid and cartridge. Take note of if there is a seal on bottom of cartridge or in canister

6. Install new seal if one was present in bottom of canister

7. Install new cartridge

8. Install new seal in canister top and apply some fresh oil

9. Install canister top and tighten

10. Refill with 5 quarts of oil and then start vehicle.

11. Look closely for oil leaks around drain plug and filter cartridge canister top. You may need to tighten the canister top some more if a little is coming out.

I recommend this filter from MAC's They also carry drain plugs and drain plug gaskets.

Look everything over and let me know if I can help further.

I recommend using Rotella 15-40 or Delo 400 15-40 oil due to it having the needed Zinc for these motors. I also suggest changing oil and filter around 2000-2500 miles since this is a partial bypass filtering system.

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.